Thread: New guy

Default New guy

Well met!

I'm in my late 40's and have been playing or GMing rpgs, mostly fantasy genre, since I was a tween (even though the term didn't exsit then). My all-time fave setting is Forgotten Realms (pre Time of Troubles) and the FR Interactive Atlas was so cool to pore though as I read the various books. I also love the work of Karen Wynn Fonstad, having several of her works from several series.

The last 8 years or so, I have been running several campaigns (D&D 3.5/d20) in a small corner of a world of my own making. We play exclusively online via Fantasy Grounds II and are using Realm Works as our primary knowledge base. My players recently told me flat out 'Love your game, but we need more maps; just too hard to picture things with just descriptions'. I guiltily knew they were right, so need to fix it.

I've been using Profantasy products back to days of CC-DOS and have kept up with all their products. Have I gotten my money's worth? Nope. Not even close. So, in the last month, I've started doing different tutorials and am amazed at the power of sheets, effects and other tools I had never used before.

So, since I've promised the players and myself that I'd start making maps, I figured I'd join the Cartographer's Guild. I'm probably going to be asking questions here and there if I can't find the answers in an existing thread. Some of the first ones will be likely for my large underground area (not QUITE a dungeon) built to shelter a continent's population from a cataclysm because, what world is complete without at least one cliche?

Personally, I live in the New England region of the United States, am a rabid college hockey fan and travel all over following the UMass Lowell Riverhawks. I also love craft beer and as I travel, I love to seek out the local brews and beer bars that serve them.

Gary

Banned User

Hello Gary! Welcome to the Guild!

I think you'll find plenty of tutorials here to get you going strong. Here is a very good place to start:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

I'll look forward to seeing some of your maps

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Druids were always my most favorite character class, until 3rd Ed. ruined them.