Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The semi-canonical maps of Middle Earth

I went back to the monochrome. I added some town/city icons but wasn't real happy with them.
    So I did a version with just dots to denote locations. I kind of like that better but I thought I'd put them both up and see what the response was.
    Didn't get any further on the Moria lettering. Might do more tonight.
    Map with icons - and with dots...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME Rhovanion 01d [working1].jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	73834 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME Rhovanion 01d [working2].jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	73835
    I think this one is getting close to done. Then it will be on to Gondor. ...or maybe Moria

The icons are nice but I'm hedging towards the dots. The maps have something of a 'pared-down' feel with the monochrome palette and I feel the dots seem to fit that better. The icons add a small flourish, and they certainly don't overwhelm in any way, but personally I like the simple dots better.

I like the toned down forests. It works much better with the overall style.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks ChickPea.
    Mordor was a smaller map area and the icons seemed to work there. But this region is a much larger area and the icons just seemed wrong somehow.
    I did a whole bunch of different ones in different styles and none really seemed to look right.

I got a bit more done on the Moria lettering last night. Watcher is mostly done. Weapons started.
    Not sure what the Moria map would be. Maybe just some of the larger halls. I'll have to go back and reread the bits on Moria.

Name:	ME Moria 01a[working2].jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	716.7 KB 
ID:	73839

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

My thoughts are pretty much the same as Chickpea's r.e. the dots instead of icons. And I'm freaking LOVING that Moria title.

The Moria title is just full of win! I love the texture you've added on the watcher's skin. It looks fantastic.

About the Moria map, I didn't actually think there were any maps of Moria. I was curious and did a quick search and there does seem to be a few, mostly from gaming I believe. There's some Moria layout info summarised in the Tolkien Gateway site, but I think you could indulge your imagination with this one. When I think of Moria, my mind goes to the dark, atmospheric dungeon maps we see around here. I'm interested to see how you'll work that with your pale, monochrome pattern, though I suppose there are plenty of black & white line art maps too.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Man, i instantly fell in love with the great weapons on your deviantart site when i saw them the first time! Great that you give us a glimpse of wip of those axes here. (Ok, i stop fanboying now... ) I also prefer the dots on the map, it fits the style better overall.

My preference goes to the dots too. And, I'm kinda jealous : your titles are art by themselves!

I also think dots over the more fancy icons...BUT...i looooove the color version of the map. Sure, the forest pops quite a bit...but it IS the dominant feature of the region... Now i'd really like to see a full on color version of those maps! Very well done. Looking forward to more maps.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Ah, this is what I miss out on when I only frequent the finished maps thread! These maps are coming along really well J.Edward! Like everyone else has said the titles are superb and stylish and bring out the best in giving each region its unique cultural touch. Any chance you will do the lands south of Mordor/Gondor? (The Haradrim were always my favourite ) What are the fonts btw?

Thanks all. The dots win.
    I'll have to check some details but I think Rhovanion is done.
    Glad people are diggin the lettering. When time permits, Moria will get its map.
    It will likely be a dark full color map. Maybe just some specific area[s].
    It would be monumental and complicated to do all those subterranean passages that go over and under and all. We shall see.

To answera a few questions...
    Eilathen - I may be doing a color version of the whole ME map. Maybe in addition to the monochrome ME map.
    I'll have to see which I prefer for that final thing. It's really big.
    Sharpes - I hear ya. I try to keep up with all the wips but it's too hard.
    Yes, in a way. The big ME map goes from far in the Northern Wastes all the way down past Far Harad. So you'll get that eventually. Stay tuned.
    And all the lettering is hand drawn digitally. I did use a font as reference for Rhovanion, and maybe Mordor. Can't remember off the top of my head. All the others are just drawn up from scratch. I used to do calligraphy and still do lots of lettering and font stuff.

I started Gondor today. It still has a lot of work to be done.
    NOTE - Pinnath Gelin has to be scrapped and totally redone.
    This is early. Still has my quick hand scribbled red Tolkien lettering.
    Much to do tonight.

Name:	ME Gondor 01a [working1].jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	467.0 KB 
ID:	73848

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast