Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The semi-canonical maps of Middle Earth

Wip The semi-canonical maps of Middle Earth

So almost a week ago a few of us were chatting about doing a friendly challenge of Middle Earth maps.
    I jumped right into it and started. It occurred to me quickly that I needed to reacquaint myself with Middle Earth as I had not read any Tolkien for a few years. That got me thinking I might as well do the whole ME lands, which turns out to be a bigger task than I originally thought.
    I have a lot of it done already but I keep coming up with new things to do, which then means I ave to add those or correct them for all the other areas I've already done. That is a pain in the ass! BUT... I think it will be worth it in the end. The whole map will look a lot better once it's done.

Anyhow, it sort of changed at a point and now I am doing 4 regional maps and 1 large map.
    The regions will start with Mordor and also include Eriador, Rhovanion and Gondor. The large map will include some of the north[Forodwaith and Northern Wastes] as well as the south [Haradwaith and Far Harad]. So it's going to take some time.

I just finished the Mordor region map which will give you an indication of how I am doing all these maps.
    I should add that I take some liberties with the landscape in some areas. I researched a lot from various sources to get a good idea of how it would be laid out. But some things Tolkien did just don't sit well with me and so I made some changes. Heretical - I know.
    An example being, most of his mountain ranges are just too narrow for me.
    You may not like how I did them but just know that it was a choice, not a mistake or misunderstanding.
    Beyond that, feel free to jab and pick and pull it apart if you feel it necessary. I may bite though.

So here's the first of several ME maps. Cheers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mordor [M] by SirInkman 2015.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	73671

Great work J.! I found strange these location icons. It's a top view map and the icons not.

Nice detail with the "Eye" and flavor text ^_^

Thanks Meriba. Valid point on the icons.
    I was using some I had made previously but if they aren't working I may do some new ones.
    Not sure at this scale if top down tower icons would read as towers though.
    Maybe I should just use dots or something to indicate the towers. Any thoughts?

Beautiful work! The eye is very cool. The lighter muted color scheme is very attractive as well. Looking forward to seeing the other maps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks Arsheesh. Any opinion on the tower icons?

So I made a quick stab at trying some top down icons.
    They work ok in 1 or 2 places but I'm not sold on them yet.
    I may just need to make more and use different ones for different areas.
    Thaurband, Minas Morgul and Barad-dur seem okay but the others look a bit wrong to me.
    Maybe I'll add some roads too. I'll keep working on it as time permits.

Name:	ME Mordor 01b [working].jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	754.0 KB 
ID:	73676

Well, I went ahead and redid those top down icons. And added some roads through Mordor.
    Had to do some research to figure where the roads should be.
    I think it looks better with the top down icons, so thanks for that Meriba.

Name:	Mordor [M2] by SirInkman 2015.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	73679

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I like the style , very neat. And I agree, the top down icons works way better. Good job !

A very fine map J.Edward! While catching the Tolkienian spirit with the "nearly" b/w style with only some subtle coloured parts, your linework, especially the nice simple mountains, the labeling/font and indeed the new icons are bringing in your very own. Just great. Can't wait to see it next to the other maps...

Thanks Max and Abu.
    I just started on the Rhovanion region tonight.
    I'll have to make some new icons for towns there too.

These icons looks great, but I don't understand their meaning, except for Barad-dur (tower?), Bar Lythryn (village?), Thaurband (stronghold?). Maybe a little legend would help (Minas Morgul is also a tower complex). It's Just a personal opinion, of course.

Also, the R. Culduin label doesn't follows its course like other rivers labels.

Finally, I really like the clarity and few colors of this map!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast