Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erena -- Commission

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Yes, I suppose it comes down to personal preference and how something fits into someone's workflow. I tried drawing it all by hand before and despite lots of practice it never really looked all that good to me, so I've resorted to creating custom brushes to now. Maybe I'll return to a completely handdrawn style later on, but for now this works the best for me.

I would agree with Max. I've tried brushes and their ability to be reused is a diminishing factor.
    Made for a specific map, they have their uses but most times I just draw straight to the map each time.
    Ironically, as you do it more and get used to it, it really is faster. And arguably better, as you can make subtle changes in situ and arrive at a more organic and unique end result.
    Sometimes it takes more time but the results are good.
    I find that I often only use 3 basic brushes to do almost all of my maps. Occasionally an extra 1 or 2 texture brushes I've made. But mostly just basic brushes.

That being said, I have seen some really good results from brushes, when used well.

Very nice map Wired! I tend to agree with others about the contrast of the coniferous forests. They look too black to my eye.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Seems I maybe just have a very weird taste then.

By Wired
    Seems I maybe just have a very weird taste then.
    No worries! It's not a matter of taste : you coniferous trees look good imho. I just think that it's distracting : my eyes are attracted to them, as for the labels (which are also black), and that's not serving the other elements.

Another nice map, Wired! You're a fast-learner. I don't think i can rep. you yet, but i'll try.

I have to agree about what has been said about the coniferious trees (too dark; distracting; make them more similar to the other trees)...that's what i also came here to say. But you know it already, i guess
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12