Thread: How do I create a border for my maps?

Default How do I create a border for my maps?

Hello, I've been around for a while now and tutorials and feedback from other members really helped me improve my maps. However I'm still not sure how to create a border for my maps and it is something that I would really like as a finishing touch on my maps. I'm not looking for a specific style but rather a general way of creating borders so I can change styles for different maps. Does anyone have any suggestions (or tutorials) for creating one such border?

Thanks in advance

-Dan

Banned User

What software are you using? What type of border do you want -- solid, decorative, hand-drawn, ornate, topical? There are as many different ways to create a border as there are types

In Photoshop, for example, you can select the entire image, then modify the selection to contract it away from the edge, invert the selection and fill that border area with a color. That will make you a simple border. You can draw an ornate element, then duplicate it and build a long chain to build up an ornate border.

Thanks chick, yes I'm using photoshop and this is surely helpful! Though I'm using photoshop now, I would be willing to try any other software if that would be useful (I hear Illustratore mentioned alot)

-Dan

Hi Daniel,

I wrote a tutorial a few years back on how to create map borders using GIMP. Event though the software is different the principles will be the same, so it may be of use to you. Just click on the link in my sig.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks arsheesh, That's very useful! I just read it through so I haven't tot a chance to test it out yet, but I surely will!

-Dan