Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Dor-en-Ernil - The Land of the Prince: ...Yes, another ME map ;)

Hi Abu! Thanks for the Deets!

Just wanted to thank you for your post and tell you that I'm getting tied up with some R/L stuff which is taking time away from mapping, but I didn't want to slow you down so some quickies from me:

The size of the DA icon (love it btw) doesn't really matter to me. On regional scale maps of this style the city icon is usually not representative of geographical scale but of importance (they would be dots otherwise, most of the time). So go with what you feel is right. I like the smaller one in isolation but need to see how it compares with your other icons on the map to really get a good idea.

Thanks for the vector images of the DA emblem and compass - exactly what I needed.

It would be cool to share a common font for both maps. Which one are you using? I haven't yet got the font stage (and don't want to slow you down) but if you want to share a common font, we can maybe look at this later?

I'm almost certainly going to have an inset in the Map to put DA in it regional location, so I'll copy your coastline. Can you send me a Black and White image of the coastline only? Let me know if you want the same from me.

best

Ravs

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Abu, that is looking awesome. I like the fix on the mountains - just that little bit of thinning you did really makes a huge difference.

And I agree with Ravs on that compass - fantastic.

@Diamond: Thanks for the feedback! As written above, the mountain chapter is far from closed, but your tips brought me a big step forward .

Hey Ravs, no worries it's not slowing me down. There are still so many things to do on the map . I really love your idea about the inset (finally i learned the correct english term for it XD!). I think there should be enough place on my map to make an inset of the DA map too. Here is the Outline:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LandoutlineDorEnErnilNEU.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	74124

As mentioned, the labelling is only provisional atm and just a test for the areal and linear designations so far. When the places for the towns/cities are fixed, cards will be shuffled anew...so i'm not in a hurry. The Font i used on the map is "ready for my closeup". For the Title i used "Stonehenge" (thin).
    As mentioned already, it's not set in stone and i'm always willing to learn more about (lettering) maps if you got the time.
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 06-17-2015 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks Abu. I think I've got my composition now - see my DA thread.

Thanks for the font names. What I might do for the DA map is hand letter the labels. I'm leaning towards using a similar style to a brilliant map of Osgiliath (see below).

http://www.eredhel.tripod.com/sitebu.../osgiliath.gif

Ravells, that link doesn't seem to be working. I think the site's blocking hotlinks.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks for that! I've never seen that pic before and, yeah, it's fantastic.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That picture would win the just-starting-lite-challenge staright away, no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Here ya go, me dear.....beautiful, isn't it? Does anyone know about the provenance of this map?
    It looks like it would have come from ICE's MERP 2nd edition. Couldn't say exactly who did the map.
    From other maps in the 2nd edition that look like they are done by the same hand, there are 7 people listed as contributing BW maps.
    Peter Fenlon was one of them and is also listed as doing the color maps but it could also have been someone else.
    Unfortunately that specific map is in a module I don't have so couldn't be more specific.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast