Thread: [WIP] Dor-en-Ernil - The Land of the Prince: ...Yes, another ME map ;)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [WIP] Dor-en-Ernil - The Land of the Prince: ...Yes, another ME map ;)

Well, i couldn't resist the idea and had to head towards Middle-earth too...
    Being artistically too far away to "challenge" anyone of the illustrious fellows who planned to do some mapping of Middle-Earth, nonetheless my imagination was triggered and i started to plan the journey.
    Bearing in mind what chick said about the "overmappedness" of ME, i didn't need to search for too long to find a place to map:
    Excarvating some old memories of reading "Der Herr der Ringe" for the first time, one scene came to my mind.
    The "heroic" and "noble" appearance of Prince Imrahil and his "Swan-Knights" in Minas Tirith. The name "Dol-Amroth" opened up a even wider space of imagination for me, like many places never described directly by Tolkien.

So it's Dor-en-Ernil that i try to map here, "The Land of the Prince", a region in South-Gondor around the peninsula of Belfalas.
    For the basic landform i drew heavily on the fantastic MERP maps by Peter Fenlon, which differs a bit from the maps by Tolkien himself. I also might take some inspiration from the MERP Sourcebook "Havens of Gondor", the only detailed, but "not-even-semi-canonical" description of the region.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DorEnErnilWIP1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	4.37 MB 
ID:	73722

I just started with the mountain-range on the Belfalas peninsula, as usual done with my good old mouse in gimp. Being (still) a bloody noob in drawing, i'd love to hear any comments, critique or suggestions.

Cheers,
    AL
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 05-29-2015 at 10:36 AM.