Thread: Good Morning

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Good Morning

Good morning and salutations!

My name is Daniel and I am a mapper. I have been a mapper for well on 15 years now; however, I have never been able to grasp control of it to better myself.

Recently, I have found my way to an rpg site called roll20.net This is a great site for online gaming and I am in mappers heaven so to speak (or hell depending on how you look at it lol). Without a lot of experience (despite the 15+ years), my maps tend to be fairly rudimentary. They look good enough when I used the in-site objects and such, but i want to advance and find a program that will allow me to load say a hollow outline of Britain, and then make all my modifications to THAT map.

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Guild Daniel.
    I can't really help with the request as I'm not familiar but some one will be able to help, I'm sure.
    Cheers.

Banned User

Hello Daniel, welcome to the Guild!

Certainly you can use something like GIMP (free) or Photoshop (better but not free) to bring in an outline map and then add whatever you want to it. I have done some commissioned maps for use on roll20.net in Photoshop, using simple outlines and Photoshop brushes to make the features.

If you want some direction on getting started, I recommend a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!