Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Printing your maps + Donations

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    That is gracious of you Ian. I think you could probably hide the work email.
    Maybe you could say 'work email upon request - send pm to Kanny' or something like that.
    I'm not familiar with UK post addresses, is the one in the Lib. contact the address that any print work would be sent to?
    And if so, how would it need to be addressed so that it reaches the appropriate person, ie you.
    Thanks Edwards, I think I will follow your advise and hide my e-mail, disclosing it via PM as you say.

Just a quick message to say that I've sent the first set of images out for printing! Hopefully they will come back looking good (fingers crossed). I'll try to take a picture or two of the items in the room for everyone as well. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed so far!

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Just a short heads-up: I just took initiative and contacted Cambridge University to check the authenticity of all of this. If this is legit, I'm willing to contribute. If not, we all should know. In any case: I'll let you guys know their respond.

@Kanny: I hope you don't get this the wrong way. If all of this is true it really is a great thing, but the internet is full of people hiding behind their username claiming things which seem true on first glance. I just want to be sure - this is in the best interest of all of us.

If you are interested, the wording of my Mail:
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently got contacted by someone who claims to be Ian Pittock, working for the University of Cambridge, University Library on a site dedicated to cartography called CartographersGuild. He claims to gather some fictional works to enlarge the 'Imaginary Places‘ section of the library. You can read his full statement here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30761

He linked the following site as reference: http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/deptserv/maps/contact.html, which I used to contact you and to ask if this is really someone who works for the University or just claims to be Ian Pittock and pulling of an elaborate hoax to get stuff for free. If this is legit, I’m sure some of us are happy to contribute (including me), if not, we can stop this activities. In any case, I would be glad to hear from you soon.

I’m sorry if my Englisch isn’t perfect, I’m from Germany. If you need any more detailed information, please feel free to contact me. =)

Best regards,
    Steffen Brand

Cheers, Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 06-11-2015 at 06:20 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

This was fast:

Dear Steffen

I am pleased to confirm that Ian Pittock does, indeed, work for Cambridge University Library Map Department.

Although most of our map collections is - as you would imagine - of real places, we do have a number of maps of fictional places (usually related to novels, etc.), and these are always of interest to our readers.

I can also confirm Ian is undertaking this project with my support though he will be spending some of his own time on it.

Yours

Anne
    Head of the Map Department
    Cambridge University Library

--
    Anne Taylor
    Head of Map Department, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3
    9DR
    Tel: 01223-333041. Fax: 01223-333160. email: aemt2@cam.ac.uk
    http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/deptserv/maps/

!! VAT NUMBER: G.B. 823 8476 09!!
    Alright, I'm in. I'll check with my publishers and would send you a hard copy if that is alright with them. =)
    Cheers, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Fantastic news, and please don't worry! I was fully aware of how what I was enquiring about may sound when I set out on this project. I would have been suspicious in your situation as well. Best wishes everyone!

Hiya everyone! So the first batch of prints came through and I took some photos for you all. I'm sorry my camera is not very good and i'm not much of a photographer either, but I thought you may like to see them anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapRoomCG01.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	826.8 KB 
ID:	74076

Name:	MapRoomCG02.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	74077

Name:	MapRoomCG03.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	891.0 KB 
ID:	74078

Name:	MapRoomCG04.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	887.1 KB 
ID:	74079

Name:	MapRoomCG05.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	943.5 KB 
ID:	74080

Name:	MapRoomCG06.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1,008.0 KB 
ID:	74081

Name:	MapRoomCG07.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	982.3 KB 
ID:	74082

Those look awesome! I wish I would have seen this thread earlier! I would have offered a few of my maps if you had wanted them, if you still need any more feel free to ask me.

Hiya Domino44, this is an open and ongoing project. While I cant take everything I am actively trying to expand the libraries collection. Have a read of the first post in this thread and if you think you have any maps that may be applicable and of sufficient quality and resolution please feel free to send me a message.

Same goes for anyone else who may be interested.

Also please bare in mind that I'm funding the printing of these maps myself and I'm not exactly the wealthiest man in the world, so if any of you have the money to print off maps and send them to us (thereby saving me the printing/postage costs) that would be hugely generous of you. Obviously I don't expect many people to take up that option, but I thought I would just throw it out there for those of you who do have the finances.

Hiya guys, Just a quick update, I've edited to the first post of this thread to better reflect the creation and purpose of the project. I've also tried to provide better links to information in this thread.

I don't know if its possible but is there a way in which I could submit this thread for possible sticky status? Hopefully its something I intend to run for some time and I would like to raise as much awareness of it as possible to guild members.

Thanks!

Ian, it looks like your project is starting out on the right foot!

One quick question--what is the quality of the paper you have selected to make the prints? I would imagine that an archival paper might be relatively expensive, but it looks like the paper you've selected is still relatively sturdy. You're choice to reproduce the images with a larger "parchment" effect framing them is quite beautiful and adds a sense of legitimacy, depth, and age to the cartography that is very complimentary to the map itself. Lovely! I hope your patrons will find your collection fascinating and inspiring!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast