Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Mapping Experiences

Default Windows 10 Mapping Experiences

With the news that Windows 10 will be released on July 29 and the electronic invitations for a free update for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users, it would be good to start hearing something here about Windows 10 and the various mapping products used by guild memebers. This is particularly true in view of some of Microsoft's own comments on their forums saying that 3rd party 32-bit programs may encounter problems with Windows 10. Many of the cartographic programs used here still offer only 32-bit versions, so this is germane.

One assumes that a number of guild members also are among the 4 million folks worldwide who tested Windows 10 betas. What are your experiences with Windows 10 and:

Photoshop
    The GIMP
    CC3/CC3+ and add-ons
    Dundjinni
    Fractal Mapper 8
    Xara
    etc.?

This is a critical point now for those who have to consider whether to update free to Windows 10. We users need to decide soon whether to update. That would be good to know.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Wonderful point Mark. I'd certainly be keen to now the answer to this as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Yep, dragging my feet as well but so far no information to share.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

So, I've been lurking here for a long time and decided to register so I could answer this question. I've been working on my personal projects in the windows 10 beta extensively since the public testing release. So far, I have had absolutely no issues. I can personal attest to GIMP, Fractal Terrains, and Wilbur working excellently, but almost any program that has been functioning on windows 8 should work quite easily with windows 10. I have not encountered any program compatibility issues with the current generation of test builds, and I'd be pretty confident in recommending the upgrade. If there's a free program that you would specifically like me to test, let me know and I'll try it out when I can.

Banned User

Thank you very much, SourceRyan, for the info. I'm sure this is good news to all of us who are faced with the decision! And thanks to Mark for bringing up the question, too

Thanx for chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by SourceRyan View Post
    almost any program that has been functioning on windows 8 should work quite easily with windows 10.
    How well would that apply to Windows 7? Many people never went to Windows 8 or 8.1.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    How well would that apply to Windows 7? Many people never went to Windows 8 or 8.1.
    Yuppers...like Me
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Thanx for chiming in!

Short Version? You should be safe to upgrade, and in most cases you'll notice a decent speed boost. It's quite a nice OS to use!

FWIW, there are things Win8 greatly improved on, especially speed (even on older hardware.) File Copying and program performance are much faster, and since Win10 shares much of the underlying architecture, it also inherited the performance increases. (While many new features have been added, the main differences are in presentation: Windows 10 expands on win8's modern aesthetic, but makes it infinitely more palatable to desktop users.) Because of the shared foundation, any fixes or workarounds for Win8 can be easily applied to win10.

However, like I said, I never had any compatibility issues appear while using win10, (or win8, for that matter) and I may be biased in that regard. I don't expect any major incompatibilities to appear in the next few months, and at the risk of generalizing too broadly, any program that supported windows 7 can work on windows 8, and therefore will work on windows 10.

Win10 basically works with anything that works with 8.1

While I'm not an experienced user, only dabbling and trying some stuff for my own personal recreation, I didn't encounter any problem with GIMP or PS.

During Tech Preview releases some compatibility problems arised with some other stuff (games, mostly, due to Direct-X and alike) but most of the time fixes that worked previously with 8.1 also worked with 10

I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night and can't do any mapping at the moment because I can't get my image editing software (PaintShop Pro X7) to install...

When I load the disc, instead of automatically starting the installation process, it's either opening windows explorer and showing me a list of all the files on the disc, or nothing happens and I just keep getting these annoying messages pop up about "Tap to choose what happens, etc., etc..."

I don't understand what options I'm supposed to select in the AutoPlay settings (in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > AutoPlay). I've got the "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" toggled on. And I've looked at the drop-down options for each type, but none seem to be relevant for software installation.

Can anyone help, please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast