Thread: More naming questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned User

I'm still not sure, to be honest. I think I might be missing something crucial. Let me see if I understand: So someone would arrive at a place and give it a name in their own language based on whatever, let's go with looks for simplicity. They call the river that has a lot of curves in it, 'Sathir'. The whole word Sathir/parts of it mean 'Bend' or something? Take the name, 'Taylor' or 'Baker', I'm not entirely sure what people mean when they say it comes from being a Tailor or that that person was once a baker. Was someone literally called Tailor after their job once and it eventually got changed to Taylor?

Extra question: I have Cilen Tureste and Cilen Antar, Thel Usir, Thel Xantir. Roughly, as obviously I haven't gone into real detail, cilen = Hills and Thel = Mount/Hill. What would I call hills if I wasn't doing it based on a language and I wasn't using descriptive names? I get naming rivers if I wasn't doing it on a language because it's just a name usually, but with hills it's two words or more. Would I just say that this was the hill of Xantir (xantir meaning something) but instead of putting Thel before it I'd just call it Xantir?

I'm so lost.
    Last edited by Sarithus; 06-07-2015 at 04:50 AM.