Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dol Amroth

Thanks Abu!

The advantage we modern mappers have is that we can crop the paper size around the map - in the olden days they had to do it the other way round!

Lol, I wasn't implying that you should handwrite the labels too! It is an interesting process and in some ways (at least the way I do it) can actually be quicker than having to do lots of labels on curves. I may ditch the idea as this goes on but was just floating it out there as part of my general process and the sorts of things I think about when drawing maps.

Got the general form and structure of the buildings done now. Next step is to tweak it to give it some character, put in some principal buildings which will look a little different to the generic hatched ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dol amroth_13.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	735.9 KB 
ID:	75012  

Great capture! I will be here for the next.

Thanks Meriba. I went for a few easy wins before doing the hard stuff. Still have to put in the notable buildings, but borders are fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dol amroth_16a.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	75038  

Clean and elegant work so far! Very nice forests and layout. My only critic would be that the mole's borders are a bit too dark compared to the rest. But maybe it's just not finished yet?

Wow. That's looking quite fabulous, though I think I agree with Ilanthar about the dark... meaning it is darker and draws the eye, but I don't know as that's actually bad if it's intentional and sets the right vibe. What's the reason for the top-right corner piece being red? Just curious.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I always have trouble making fancy borders myself which is why mine are so simple. But I agree this map is looking really fabulous.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

thanks everyone. I wanted the mole to stand out, but I think making it that black doesn't work since nothing else in the map is pure black. Thanks for pointing out it looks odd, I'll tone it down. The red symbol in the corner is an easter egg - you'll see what it's for in the final map. I'm really crap at borders and should do more work on them. IMO a good border really makes a map shine and people like Max just make amazing ones. On holiday now, so no more updates for a few days. Thanks for all the crits and please keep them coming. I'm a bit rusty on my mapmaking and having fresh eyes on it really helps me.

This is quite attractive Ravs. It's great to see another town map from you. I can empathize with you though, borders are always one of the hardest things for me as well. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast