Thread: Map of BREVOY and Surrounding Area

Map Map of BREVOY and Surrounding Area

Hello there.

Here to show you my first finished map! A ton of fun to make, and a lot of things learned.
    As much as I want to go back and change a little thing here and a little thing there (especially since this is my first time), i'm excited to start new projects, so I have to stop tinkering and let this one go.
    I'm pretty happy with it, and so far the Pathfinder community has been very positive to it (especially people running Kingmaker, which is set south of Brevoy).

I'd love to get any feedback you have !

Unfortunately, the original map is very large (and way too big to be uploaded as an attachment), so the labels on these attachments are sometimes unreadable due to their size.
    (bigger resolution for both HERE and HERE)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-of-BREVOY-and-Surrounding-Area.jpg 
Views:	3367 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	74064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-of-BREVOY-and-Surrounding-Nations.jpg 
Views:	4906 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	74065

In addition of the normal map i've made a political version (mostly for my players in the Pathfinder campaigns i'll be running).
    This was made on Photoshop.

Brevoy is a nation at the brink of civil war, north-east of the "Inner sea" region, part of the world of Golarion (a Pathfinder setting).
    Being situated on the border of the "known world", I wanted to make a map that compiled a ton of different sources and reconciled them, in particular Brevoy, Iobaria and the Stolen Lands.
    Last edited by Narolas; 06-14-2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: updating IMGUR link to correct small error

Congrats on finishing your first map Narolas! A very fine first effort indeed. The hand-drawn elements are attractive, the fonts work well with the composition and the parchment is a nice touch as well. In terms of constructive criticism, the labels along the mountain ridges look a little funny to me with the background texture. I think I would have gone with an off white or a light tan color personally. Also, the icons designating geographical features don't really stand out that well. Perhaps adding a thicker black stroke around them would help. All in all a nice job though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Amazing first map.

My suggestions:
    Desaturate the map it bit, see what it looks like.
    You have nailed the forest outlines. Well done.
    Try to carve the forests around the roads - the map will look a lot better for it.
    Don't use the labels with empty fills. Fill them with something and keep the colour of all your labels consistent by visual importance rather than place. With a map like this I would make all the labels the same colour - a drak grey maybe.

Thank you!
    And thanks for the criticism, i'm keeping notes of all the things I should look out for in my next map.

By carving the forests around the road, do you mean having the forest "creep" on the roads a bit, as if the trees were above the sides ? Or full-on open a path like for the rivers ? My problem was that carving a hole in the forest would look big, given the scale of the map, whereas the roads aren't as large as the map suggests. I'll try making a subtle forest edge around it next time and see how it looks.

Great first map!

I'd use a tighter range of font sizes. I usually don't have text that is more then 50% smaller that the biggest label text.

Dude, this is awesome! I just started running the Kingmaker adventure path and have been looking for something exactly like this. Any chance I could get a copy of the larger file? I'd love to get it blown up and printed at the local print shop, and add the hex grid for the exploration part. Feel free to email me.cmarmor@yahoo.com

Default Request

I appologise if this violates any rules about 'bumping' an ancient post, but given I am new I have little choice.

This map is amazing. I've seen it on many other sites, none of which directed to who actually made it. Since I have found you, I wanted to say you have mad skills and I am really in awe of your work.

That said, I was wondering if you have a version with hexes, and without political borders. I'd love to use this for my Kingmaker game that will be starting soon.

Default Helpful

Really helpful and wonderfully done. Thanks