Thread: Ilion: Globe and Associated Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks! I was thinking of doing some globes myself... I have those big balls in styropor, hence my question.

It seems I am more brave than I thought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0331 small.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	74420

Here's the new finished product. I've taken pictures of the other sides as well but haven't processed them yet.

Name:	lightside.jpg 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	74423

One thing I do is make a subtle atmosphere effect using the stroke outline effect in PS around a circular selection. I find the gradient tool hard to customize so instead I grow and shrink both the selection and the outer glow until I have enough to make a gradient, then I blur. It's not perfect and I need to add more layers to it to smooth it out, but it'll do for now. This is what the atmo looks like on its own, at 100% transparency (for the image I reduced transparency to 40%).

Name:	atmo.jpg 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	74422
    Last edited by Malicious-Monkey; 06-28-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Wip

I've taken some time off to work on other projects. I'm back now to tackle those pesky new coastlines I've built onto the globe. The hardest part is accuracy; I'm mostly just eyeballing it at this point.

Name:	new coastlines 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	75081

Wip

Mapping of the new coastlines is complete. Other maps (plates, etc.) will be adjusted later.

Name:	before and after.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	75083

Map

I think it's finished! Now onto phase two: local maps, or darkside maps. Whichever I get to first.

Name:	Five smaller.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	591.9 KB 
ID:	75153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tectonic Plates lightside.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	579.7 KB 
ID:	75154

Name:	Landing Sites.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	582.1 KB 
ID:	75155 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biomes.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	739.7 KB 
ID:	75156

I've begun the task of mapping one of the landing sites. This is very much a work in progress and I want to make sure everything makes sense before moving forward.

Name:	contours1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	75220

Is the scale realistic?

The river graphics are placeholders and should be narrowed in the final version, especially the outflow that looks like it's a quarter km wide. Yikes. It's supposed to be a minor river, not the Amazon.

How long would it take to climb one of the two hills north of the river on foot?

Given the scale, would the middle section of river be considered a ravine or gully or something else?

Finally, is there a way to smooth the kinks in the contour lines using PS Elements? Whenever I try to do it by hand, I just end up making more kinks.