Thread: Analyze my climates?

Help Analyze my climates?

Here's a picture of the climates of my world: http://i.imgur.com/fohIT6p.png

How accurate are these? How could I improve them? Thanks for any help!

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=82581

hmmm, OP, you may want to consider mountain shadow effects a little more, but it doesn't seem bad

Quote Originally Posted by vo1dwalk3r View Post
    Here's a picture of the climates of my world: http://i.imgur.com/fohIT6p.png

How accurate are these? How could I improve them? Thanks for any help!
    We *really* need to know some latitudes and scale here to be helpful.

That said, the only two things that caught my eye were:

1. BSh dipping much further south than its mountain range, and

2. The apparent inverted rain shadows along the eastern coast.

Other than that, seems plausible enough, but I'm not a climate expert.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Yeah, sorry. Consider the bottom 0° and the top 60°. For width, about North Carolina to northern California at its widest.

With the inverted rain shadow, it seemed that the cold current on the western coast produced a fairly harsh lack of water, while the inner BSh was as a result of simply being far from the east coast, not a rain shadow, since very little humidity was getting to the east coast from the ocean. Likewise, the BSh's southern extension was a result of distance from coast.

I'm probably not being clear enough, so here are some questions:

Is the relation between savannah and rainforest plausible? Should there be any monsoon climate, and if so, where?

How far north should Cfa extend?

Where should there be any Ds? Is the positioning of Dw possible?

It's never easy to make the climates if we have no idea what's around. Most importantly: is there a big landmass south of this area? It could have a huge impact of the precipitations between the tropic if say, there is a continent the size of Asia just south of this.

You should have a lot more savannah (Aw) than equatorial rainforest Am. The later should be located where there smaller variation in the precipitations.
    Cfa is extending to much north already. Make it match the Csa latitudes. North of that, it's too cold and the continent is surrounded by water, meaning it temperate the extremes: summers are not hot enough.
    Most of the northern part should be Cfb. The northern tip could be cold enough top become Cfc. The north-easternmost part is Dfb.

i really doupt there could be Dw or Ds in this area. The northern part is not large enough to have any really dry climates. Ds could occur near the Csa and Csb areas in higher altitudes.

I'm with Azelor. It is important to know what's on the south side of the equator and the proximity of large/larger landmasses.

Should we assume there are no other continents in the proximities and that the continent has an insignificant amount of lass on the southern hemisphere?
    Is this it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	74130

The more I look at your map, the more I agree with what you did. There are two things I'd change, though. I think the desert probably spans from coast to coast, or even if not to the east coast, at least close to it. Also, the savannah/monsoon climate would be a thinner strip except between the coast and the large equatorial lake. In the north, there would probably be less D climates (I'm also with Azelor on this), but the actual temperatures range on the north end of the continent will depend a lot on the global ocean currents, which we cannot know from your info.
    Last edited by Pixie; 06-16-2015 at 11:17 AM.

There are 2 things that are making Europe climates ''milder'' than North America's at same latitudes. Specifically, temperatures in summer are similar especially near the coasts but the difference is in winter. winter are 5 to 10 Celsius colder is North America compared to Europe.

because of:

The Gulf Stream: a hot current flowing toward Europe. (It's not that hot but it helps a bit). http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...FUZFjAodasIDIA
    North America is affected by a cold current as you can see in this simplification : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C...-oceanicas.png

but

Another determinant factor is the direction of the winds. In both case, at this latitude : eastward. Europe dominant winds are mild because they come from oversea. In America, they come from the center of the continent and the center is more prone to temperature extremes.