Thread: Greetings from Italy

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Post Greetings from Italy

Hi everyone! My name is Francesco, registered on this forum under the username Cariddis. I'm an Italian student who's very addicted to fantasy hobbies. I came across this forum since I was looking for ispiration about how to draw city and global maps. Looks to me that I definitely find the right place! I'm very new to the cartographers' world, so I must learn even the basics of it. I'm planning on using GIMP since it seems to me more intuitive than PS, but correct me if I'm wrong. I truly hope to learn a lot of stuff from you experienced map drawers and to be able one day to show you my works!

Ciao Francesco, welcome to this guild, lots of talented artists. Love your country traveled their with my family. My daughter just returned from a trip there - I made a map of her trip to Rome, Florence, Cinque Terra and Lucca. Its on my map page if you care to see, but anyhow - welcome aboard!

You'll find lots of tutorials on both GIMP and Photoshop - I'm a photoshop user, haven't used GIMP, and I also use Adobe Illustrator for some maps and all my Text.

Banned User

Hello, Francesco, welcome to the Guild!

There is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

GIMP is ok and free, but I personally prefer Photoshop, unless the cost is a problem.