Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raedirk Freehold

I really like the way you colored it and did the shadings. It makes it so lively.

Thanks Ilanther.

Almost done with the colouring - just a few more details and general shading to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raedirkfreehold_WIP.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	368.3 KB 
ID:	74794  
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Gorgeous work as always. I notice some folks need a few stones to hold down their thatch. Or is that just local hooligans tossing rocks onto the roofs? You're probably on this already, but a couple of buildings have holes in the roof and just have the bright green grass texture showing through, which doesn't quite look right.

Are your rocks (and other details) all hand brushed? If you ever have time I would love to see a series of screenshots on "How Larb Makes a Rock"! I have some ideas, but I just find I learn so much from copying, er… imitating, uhmmm… admiring! Admiring other people's work.

cheers,
    Meshon

Thanks Meshon! I haven't done the shading for those buildings with the big holes yet. As for the rocks - yes all hand drawn but it is basically just a sort of irregular blob with a base colour, shadow, and highlight. (You can maybe get a better idea if you compare to previous images in the thread)

I can do a picture showing my basic process in stages later at some point though if you'd like.

This is looking great Larb, I really like the fact that the moat has failed and is not staying full of water. In real life it probably happened a lot, but I would never have thought of drawing it that way ( if I could draw ). Lends a touch of realism that I like. Did I mention I like it?

I would echo Bogie's statement. Well done as always Larb.
    It is always a pleasure to watch your work unfold.
    I like the flecks of pale yellow and blue you put in the grass.

This is gorgeous!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Bogie: I sort of envisioned the ditch being dug in a hurry and it would only really fill properly when the river levels are unusually high. J.Edward: I like meadow and forest flowers. All maps need more flowers on them!

Anyway I think I'm mostly done with the map so I can now begin the labeling!

Views:	90 
Size:	372.0 KB 
ID:	74817  

And here we are - I think I am pretty much finished unless anyone has any suggestions.

Views:	168 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	74819  

This is beautiful. And so inspirational. Thank-you for sharing the pics of your process--for me, personally, it is incredibly helpful. Combined with your wonderful tutorial on basic town building, you've given me an example of how to actually make things look organic, and a huge part of that is seeing your line drawing and coloring development. My fingers are itching to try a new map now... Wonderful work! Thanks so much!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast