Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working on a logo (suggestions please)

Well the train only plays a part in the initial one-shot release, though of course trains are all over the setting, but there are many other themes being explored in the setting and modules, I'm not sure using train graphics would be best overall - but thanks for the suggestion.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Here's my next go at this. Added a human skull with some aberration coming out of it. I opted against the cow skull simply due to the lack of space. I didn't want a graphic behind the text any more than it already is. Unless I get inspired to do it a different way, this is what I'm settling with for now.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gothic-western.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	74430
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Its certainly getting there! Maybe consider a slightly more distressed look for the wood in the background, again it looks a little too bright and "new" also you could do something funky like carve a 3rd evil eye symbol on the forehead of the skull or have its other eye glow a sinister red. Overall though its looking good. Great stuff!

P.S: I've recently tried sending you PM about a project I'm running. Unfortunately it says that your in box is full so I don't think I can send you any messages. If your interested you can find details about the project here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30761
    Last edited by Kanny; 06-29-2015 at 06:27 AM.

I tried the wood grain look with hand-drawn lines, but due to the distress of the font itself, they became difficult to read in contrast to the busy lines of the wood - it was almost unreadable. So I've opted for the paper background look instead. I also changed the tenticle thing to a green cast, rather than the purple - it looks better, not so new.

I'll see about emptying my message box, in the mean time, most of my maps are 300 ppi (I use to print RPG maps for a living, now I just design them.) I'll see what I can send your way - it would have to be digital files though, many of my maps are designed to be printed at 18 x 24, 24 x 36 inches or larger. Because all my maps are created with vector graphics, I can easily rescale the artwork to whatever resolution you'd require (probably 300 dpi).

Here's the purple made green aberration version...

Name:	gothic-western01.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	74435
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-29-2015 at 06:47 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

I like it.

I think by distressed, I meant more like strategic placement of discolouration on the background. Light singeing, scorches, dirt and scratches for example that darken the background around (but not through) the text area. The goal being to dull the backgrounds edges in order to draw the eye into the wording itself, which would then host the brightest portions of the composition. Hope that makes sense.

Great stuff though and tbh, you could easily stop there and be very happy!

That looks awesome, love the tenticle (Not a futurama reference). I agree with Kanny about getting some discolouration, maybe a subtle hint of wood texture too??

In the latest version, my feelings are it looks crowded and unbalanced. Either the gun could be bigger, or the skull/aberration could be smaller. I'd try playing around with dropping the gun, and using just the skull/aberration, and try having it coming out of the skull, and intertwinning with the words.

There's a lot going on with the logo, and editing might make it easier to balance.

I like that you added an irregular shape, and suggest playing with that more.

And then maybe pay an artist to do a nice stylized version of the skull/aberration.

I was trying to make the gun and skull the same scale, making one or other other larger or smaller would defeat that. I agree its a bit crowded. My problem with the tenticle is it needs to come from somewhere since the entire aberrant being is probably larger than can be fully shown. The skull was one option, but I can't think of another better option. Still foundering on how I should do this.
    DrivethruRPG store

Balance between two objects doesn't always mean the same size. Right now, the gun looks to small to me, because the space between it and the border, is so much more than the space between the skull and the border.

I'd suggest taking a step back and doing some research.

The irregular shape you added give me the impression that's meant to be a sign. Which made me think of it more a logo than your first post on it.

So do some reseach on wild west signs. Like this one:

http://www.theperfectsign.com/Produc...ildwestbig.jpg

It helps frame it.

For exmaple:

Name:	GothicWestern.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	74444

Actually, I have a real peace maker pistol to hold in front of my face and properly gauge its scale to the size of my skull - my scales are accurate. Old west pistols are larger than you think. While having the old west sign background is a part of my intent, another issue is the space the logo takes up. I need something short and narrow to best fit on the cover design, and anywhere else the logo would normally be placed. Your taller design conflicts with the space the logo is being used. In order to make something of that shape fit better, I'd have to make the logo smaller - which takes away readability. The design looking right is not my only goal here, the final logo has to fit in the space its being used - and short and narrow is the space requirements.

Your version looks good, really, but its too tall for my needs.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-29-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast