Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Coastal Town / a D&D module map

Beautiful map, don't think you need to rotate HighPoint type though. really pleasing to look at.

Fantastic map! I'm interested how you planned and made this map. How did the workflow look like?
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Obbehobbe View Post
    Fantastic map! I'm interested how you planned and made this map. How did the workflow look like?
    Mostly the way that's presented. First I did a low resolution sketch. I try to keep these under 30 min and use grayscale. It's easier that way. I try to force myself to be sloppy and quick, and not go into detail. This way I get some of those happy accidents that spark imagination. If the client doesn't like the way it's going, no big deal, it's just 30 min. Then I did a sloppy linework version with shading to show some scale to the client. That was about 2 hours. Then when the client gave the green light I did the final pass. This took the most time. I'm still learning how to optimize my workflow. I'm probably not as fast as some of the people on this forum.

Here is the latest WIP. I finished the color, mostly. I doesn't reed as nicely as I thought it would. I might add a highlight layer to make the buildings pop, but then again I might not. It would be another hour or two and I've spent far too much time on this already.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town 7.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	992.1 KB 
ID:	74526

EDIT: Looking at it, I might desaturate the colors a bit. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by JonPin; 07-02-2015 at 04:47 PM.

It looks great JP. You could leave it as it is and it would be fine.
    If it were me, I would add more highlights so things contrasted better but I know what it's like when you've put in way more time than was intended or being paid for.
    I think you are doing the work at a pretty good speed actually. All of us can stand to be faster, as that's often the best way of making more per commission in the early days.
    I wouldn't stress about it - you're doing quite well and fairly fast as well.

edit - tried to rep you but apparently I must spread some rep first.

This looks amazing!

Thanks for the response. Do you use a drawing tablet? When I draw something like this, I sometimes lose the precision and needs to erase a lot. With all those windows, that are quite accurate but not strict accurate, I would certainly be re-drawing alot. Do you use any kind of tool that helps you keep the perspective?

I love the reflection in the water!
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Obbehobbe View Post
    Thanks for the response. Do you use a drawing tablet? When I draw something like this, I sometimes lose the precision and needs to erase a lot. With all those windows, that are quite accurate but not strict accurate, I would certainly be re-drawing alot. Do you use any kind of tool that helps you keep the perspective?
    I use a Wacom Intuos 5, medium. I got it a couple of months ago, and I love that thing!

Perspective is one thing I'm pretty good with, so I don't need guides. It's mostly a lot of practice. I've been doing technical drawings for a long time (architecture school) and they have precise perspective.

OH my goodness this is gorgeous! The entire map is so clean and crisp--really it's a joy to look at! I love the gradual shading as you go up the hill that's seen on the rooftops--it's like the further you get away from the heart of the town, the dowdier it gets... But I think the thing that really makes it pop is the crisp shadows of the buildings. You can just imagine how sunny it is on this day. The wonderfully chalky water is beautifully abstract, but the reflections in it!! It's just... deep. It looks deep!

Stunning. Truly stunning. And incredibly inspirational! Thank-you for sharing your process!

Wow... I'm gonna add one more "amazing"!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice job on the colors. I agree with J. that adding a bit of contrast will help.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast