Thread: I Thought Tectonics Would Be Easy But...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Umbral Reaver View Post
    Here's one result, Wilbur'd a bit and colourised. It doesn't look great.
    Odd. There are tiny islands everywhere. Almost like it is assuming a uniform shallow sea.

Maybe just keep trying seeds?

Anyway, I see you on the WorldEngine google group. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    WorldEngine works
    BUT
    very slow ( DEAD SLOW ) and it outputs a mostly useless EIGHT BIT height map ( -gs Height.png )
    -- a 8bit 0,255 4 band rgba image and using tiff or tga or pgm also outputs a 8 bit image

it is not yet in pip
    the setup.py uses "wget" to grab needed things

also tho resulting image dose map to a CYLINDER( not sphere ) it is sort of a Mercator projection and is 4 way tillable
    Can't you make the heightmap something more reasonable in an editor like GIMP, then load into Wilbur and smooth it and otherwise make it more presentable? I mean, heck, some of the gurus here make impressive stuff from scratch starting with one bit images (a B/W ocean mask generated at random).

So, it's not equirectangular? That seems like a hell of an oversight on their part. I see what you're saying though- when I map their examples on a globe the islands near the poles are clearly distorted. Of course, for now one could just pick seeds that produce large polar seas or continents without islands...

I have no idea what 4 way tillable means. But... it doesn't do the temp, precip, and Holdridge zones yet? Bummer. Major bummer. But frankly, having read some more about it they need to take winds into account better, anyway. I'm not sure how they can claim to model rainshadows without better accounting of prevailing winds.

So... I guess my "it'll be a hell of a utility some day" statement stands.
    Last edited by acrosome; 07-06-2015 at 01:24 PM.