Thread: [WIP] Gadash Continent - Infis World (Suggestions)

Wip [WIP] Gadash Continent - Infis World (Suggestions)

Hello everyone!

I'm still trying to come up with a style of my own so while I learn and improve this time I went with Ascension's oustanding atlas tutorial (You should totally check it out on the Tutorial section if you haven't!).

This is my take on the Gadash Continent of my personal setting, Infis. This is the most populated continent, where most of the main capitals are settled.

It doesn't orbit around a star like our sun, but for all purposes simply consider it to be tilted around 20ş counterclockwise. I also didn't pay much attention to tectonics when first building the world (since it was such a hassle), but tired to not commit outrageous outliers, hopefully.

So...looking for criticism!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gadash Continent.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	729.2 KB 
ID:	74633

Hmmm, it terms of coherence it is a bit all over the place - some stuff is pixelated and blurred, some stuff is crisp, some stuff is detailed to the pixed almost (like the coast), other is widely repetitive like the green pattern you applied.

What's working (in my humble opinion): color balance when unzoomed, the layout of the continent.

What's not working (imho): the pseudo-satellite patterns, the half-transparent effects for the mountains, the repetitive rugged nature of the coast (it's finger shaped capes all over) and the rivers (although the layout is alright, it seems like it's a layer that was simply expanded, they are pixelated, blurred and out of scale to the rest of the map)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Hmmm, it terms of coherence it is a bit all over the place - some stuff is pixelated and blurred, some stuff is crisp, some stuff is detailed to the pixed almost (like the coast), other is widely repetitive like the green pattern you applied.

What's working (in my humble opinion): color balance when unzoomed, the layout of the continent.

What's not working (imho): the pseudo-satellite patterns, the half-transparent effects for the mountains, the repetitive rugged nature of the coast (it's finger shaped capes all over) and the rivers (although the layout is alright, it seems like it's a layer that was simply expanded, they are pixelated, blurred and out of scale to the rest of the map)
    Hmmm...I'm a bit confused haha...

- Not sure what caused the different resolutions...I draw the continent shape with the pencil tool freehand...

- There's no green pattern used, it's a clouds effect (if I understand what you're saying correctly)... you mean there should be more nuances of terrains in the currently green area?

- The rivers were free-hand drawn with 1px Pencil O.o...it shouldn't look pixelated when it has 1px wide, eh?! haha

There an area in the west right between the lake and the mountains, where the water flows in 2 directions.