Thread: First map on the guild: Soria, Land of Eternal Winter.

Map First map on the guild: Soria, Land of Eternal Winter.

First of all hello to everyone in the guild, I'm ecstatic that I finally have a map that I think is good enough to post publicly. Feel free to give any constructive criticism or critiques, because I still have a lot to learn.

So anyway this project started because a few days ago when my best friends were talking about getting our D&D group together because 5th Edition is actually pretty good. So about 20 hours in photoshop later this beauty is finished. Well relatively finished, I haven't named any of the towns or fortresses because I want the group to find them out themselves and I can't risk them seeing the names here, but still the map IS finished. And as stated before I used Photoshop Elements 7.0 to create this and it took roughly 20 hours to design.

As for the story of this land here it is: "In the ancient land of Soria the kingdom of man is dying as eternal winter encroaches from the north. "The Pale" as it has come to be known doesn't just affect the weather, it holds within a dark magic that bring the recently dead back to life to serve unknown otherworldly masters. Seperated only by a massive fortress known as "The Line" the dying mortal races begin expeditions into the North to investigate the cause of The Pale after almost 300 years of unending winter."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soria.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	74531

(I had to submit this in JPEG because the PNG is just too big)

Banned User

Good job, nice first map! I'll look forward to seeing more of your work

Welcome to the Guild NightHawk429. Nice way to make an entrance.

Overall your map is very nice. Good colors, nice forests and mountains.

My only constructive advice is to make your rivers start thin and narrow and get wider as they approach the ocean, and watch how wide they get. You don't have a scale on the map, but just estimating, it looks like your rivers are 25 to 50 miles wide. The largest rivers on Earth are 1 to 3 miles wide.

Thank you so much.

Thank you very much, and yeah I already caught the rivers problem... I was working for maybe 2 hours on trying to taper them better but came up short, the fractals method just doesn't work with me, so I settled on rivers that I didn't totally hate. When I got to the scaling the map was already so layered that I couldn't edit the size... That's what rushing to a finish at 2 AM in the middle of work. But thank you so much.

Welcome! A nice map to introduce yourself