Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission: The Kingdom of Draisor 2015

Default Commission: The Kingdom of Draisor 2015

A commission map that I made for striving author Charles White for his fantasy book depicting the setting, the Kingdom of Draisor. I really enjoyed putting the style and coloring I've practiced the past months to the test, and I feel that it becomes slightly more neat every time I try it. What do you fellow cartographers think?

Feedback much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Kingdom of Draisor.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	74552

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yup, every one you do shows improvement. I think the only nitpick I have is that the coastal lines or crosshatching or whatever you want to call it, seem too heavy and dominant here. How would they look with the opacity dialed back a bit?

But overall, really great work. Repped!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice one. I have to agree with Diamond though, the coastal hatching looks too heavy here.

Hi tainotim, wonderful map! I really enjoy the style you developped in your last pieces. The elements (Mountains, hills and trees) fit very well together. I think i already mentioned, that i'm a big fan of your city/temple-icons

While i still think that those mountains, while nice individually, do not make for good mountain-chains, i really like the overall style of your maps. So what i am trying to say is - well done, an atmospheric fantasy map.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Great map, your coloring is coming along really nicely! The icons look awesome too!

I love what you did with the shorelines, the little hatching. I also think it will be super legible when printed in a book! I love the styling, it really has a tone, that just feels like adventuring. I think on your next go around you might put the same whimsy and sense of adventure and detail into your cardinal direction arrows, but other than that, I'm digging the whole thing!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

What's up with the blue volcano? I didn't even notice that until just now.

Great map! All the elements are very well done and works well with each other. My only nitpick would be the same as Diamond about the "heavy" coastlines. And I'm wondering about that blue volcano too ... Is it a geyser?

This is gorgeous! I can see what others are saying about the heavy hatching on the coasts, and yet I think it works. To me, it adds definition and a bit of 'oomph' to an otherwise neutral palette. I think it'll work really well in print. I think it looks fantastic overall. Will try to rep.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast