Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Domhantyr

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Much better on all counts - those banners look much better, and the ocean labels don't look so 'off' now. Awesome work, man.

Thanks a lot Diamond!
    Small update with some more names of the eastern part, with a test for a whale and another boat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr Or.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	75885

I've done all the illustrations for the seas... Some are maybe a bit out of scale (like the mermaid), and I don't know if they works or need some refinement/corrections. All those pictures are circled in red.

Name:	Domhantyr Oc.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	75945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr Or.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	75946

Hi Ilanthar. The amount of fantastically drawn elements you added is just spectecular (can't decide between the whale, the dragonboat and the ship near Elgor Bay for my favorite one)! I like how the minimal linework ( with maximal effect! ) fits the style of the rest of the map perfectly. One suggestion, if you're not planning to add more of the pictures, you could spread them a bit (eg. around the south-eastern coast of the eastern continent, since there is a lot of open sea...)
    Btw. great to hear you're going for a (huge!) map key together with the little banners. It seems appropriate for a massive project like this one and i guess a map without a key on it wouldn't look like a map of yours
    Keep up the great work!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 09-09-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: wow, some things tumbled around :)

Love the icons, the boats are great they really capture the feel of the whole map. Labels are really good now. The flags work well also. The sea texture still seems a little heavy maybe. I like the red travel lines on land but not as much on the sea, too similar in color and too much like the equator lines. Maybe smoother curves for them as well, seem too angular? Just thought, really looks nice.

Again, thanks for the support ! It makes me confident in trying new things actually. So, little break in the labels, and an attempt to decorate the border of the key (instead of my usual black line). Hope you'll like it. It's just a begining, not with all the shades, and also a test for future banners (I've decided to keep using the same one).

Views:	40 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	75961
    @Snodsy : you mean something less "drawn by hand" for the sea roads? More curvy? I could change that. For the aspect, I thought it would echo the roads to use the same dash dash pattern.

Nice border design! I like all the sea illustrations too, but my favorite is still the sailing city - it has such a beautifully intriguing flair to it and meshes best against the ocean pattern. I hope you keep the sea routes similar to the land roads, I had a little trouble figuring out what they were for at first (thought they might be regions of control or somesuch) but it was that parallel to the roads that finally sparked understanding. Hadn't actually noticed the latitude lines before snodsy mentioned them (with all the other cool stuff on your map I hope that's forgivable ) - I like how you've labeled them, it lends another rich fantastical flavor to the world rather than falling back on "Equator" and "Tropic" etc. Working on the key now I guess you're getting closer to being finished with this one, which is very satisfying I'm sure but I've enjoyed watching you bring it along. Really nice work, Illanthar.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

By Chashio
    my favorite is still the sailing city
    Not a surprise since it's directly based on an illustration in Runequest - Genertela

I like how you've labeled them, it lends another rich fantastical flavor to the world rather than falling back on "Equator" and "Tropic" etc.
    Thanks! I was looking for something different... and saw the labels of one old map I have on a wall with "Line of the Equinox or Equator" etc. on it, and that gave me ideas.

I finished the linework of the key frame. Still a lot to do... notably shadows and the key text itself. Hope you'll like it (and that isn't too much!)

Views:	44 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	75970

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking awesome. You're going to add color to the key border decorations, right?

By Diamond
    Looking awesome. You're going to add color to the key border decorations, right?
    Thanks! Well, no, I did not think about that... You think it needs colors? I did the shadows and toned down a bit the colors for the banner.

Views:	35 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	75971

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast