Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Domhantyr

And a few tests about forests and rivers. I tried to do a slight difference between coniferous and mixed forests. Hope it works...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr tests.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	932.2 KB 
ID:	74808
    Now I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna do cities/locations and labels.... Oh, and if I should color or not the mountains.

Banned User

Nice work

The forest difference is very subtle and I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it, but it works fine

I would leave the mountains colored as they are, it matches the map very nicely.

One thing I might suggest ... it seems like you have a slight dark glow on the ocean side of the coastlines. I'd put the dark glow on the land side, and a lighter glow on the ocean side for shallows. Nice ocean texture by the way

Thanks Chick !

I changed the color of the mixed forest to make it more obvious. Good to know for the mountains!

As for the glows, I was and I'm still wondering about it... Here's a test of what you suggest (if I understood you well) and of the precedent version.

Name:	Domhantyr tests v2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	74830 & Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr tests.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	74831

Putting aside the question of the coastal glows... And just some more mountains/rivers.

Name:	Domhantyr.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	74870

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, I missed this somehow! Very cool work so far. I like the mountains; that subtle shading is spot-on perfect.

Banned User

Yes, I like this much better now! Good job so far, looking forward to more

This is coming along nicely. Looking forward to where this is going.
    Any chance you can tell us a bit about the setting itself? Or is it "just" a map without backstory?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Yup, this is coming along nicely. keep it up

Thanks for the support and kind comments everyone!

@Diamond : I'm quite happy with the result too. I'm struggling a bit to keep those mountains not too similar in aspect and not too different in size, though.
    @Chick : so you'd go for the first one of the post #13? I think it looks better on some places (south coasts mainly) but not on others (the "polar" coasts notably)... So still don't really know what I'm doing with it. Maybe something more in-between.
    @Eilathen : I rarely do a map for fun only. It's for a reboot of a homemade rpg (yes, another one !). And as usual, I don't really know where to begin. It's mainly a medieval/antique setting comparable to AGOT or Ars Magica or Aquelarre for its quite "realistic" style. Mainly humans, the other sentient beings are for the most part not inhabitants of the "real world" but of its magical planes. It has also fantastic remains of a more antique past (my influences being Janua Vera & Runequest, among others, for those aspects).

Now that I've done more forests... I'm not sure I like them anymore. I have mainly doubts about the mixed forests. Here are some tests about roads and icons. Thoughts?

Name:	Domhantyr.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	74948

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I love those city icons; for the roads, maybe give them a tiny bit of color, to make them stand out a bit? As far as the forest go, it's a really cool idea to combine different types of woodland in the subtle way you've done. I personally like the way they both look, but it looks a bit odd with that abrupt transition, the two types separated by a road. What about having a couple of forests where they blend, where you can see the color and style change from north to south?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast