Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Domhantyr

In regards to your next move, Ilanthar, have you pondered anything about the origins and use of the map itself? In other words, are there unexplored areas? Perhaps you don't need to flesh it all out--maybe there are areas that the map-maker doesn't have any information about. I'm reminded of the Tolkein maps, where parts of his world were much more detailed and other parts were left somewhat vague... Are you intending this map to be a more "omniscient" and complete kind of map, or is the information it contains somehow influenced by its purpose for a hypothetical culture that created it?

Just a thought. It struck me that the beautiful wave texture you've used for your oceans seems somewhat illustrative, and combined with the textures of what seems to be the paper itself, the painterly nature of the forests and mountains, and your city icons, there seems to be a sense of careful "hand-drawn-ness" that implies there is a story behind the map itself.

Meh--just an idea.

Thanks Diamond! You nailed the main thing I didn't like about those forests. So, here's a test with more colored roads and a blend of the forests. Hope it works.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	74962

Thanks for your thoughts and comment Coreyartus! You're partly right, actually. It's supposed to be a map of the "known world". And there are a lot of mostly unexplored areas : large forests, steppes, deserts, jungles... Basically, beside the countries of the temperate/tropical areas, the lands are largely wilderness. And even in the countries, large forests/mountainous zones keep their secrets. Other fact, some "countries" or more properly cultures, are still nomadic and haven't the same relation to the land. West of what I've done so far, a vast zone of steppes and grasslands is inhabited by such nomadic tribes. That's gonna be a zone with fewer labels, and more roads than locations.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, I think you're on the right track now - looks pretty fantastic, actually.

This is turning out beautifully. I really like everything you've done so far, from the texture of the land to the pattern in the sea, and the mountains and forests look good. I know you said above that there are unexplored areas, but I'm kinda hoping you'll fill in lots of details because it all looks so nice!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Very nice pattern in the sea!

Thanks a lot everyone !
    @JonPin : yes, I'm glad I found this!
    Just a few more elements, mainly mountains.

Views:	61 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	74972

And another update.

Views:	68 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	74983

And a rather small update. What do you think about the moors (in orange)?

Views:	74 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	75011

That looks very nice!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast