Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Domhantyr

Another quick update with more elements, mostly in the western part. I guess I'll need to find some more colours for savannas and tropical forests.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	75129

It's looking good Ilanthar. I like the color addition for the grasslands.
    I like that rocky plateau you did earlier. And the swamps/marsh look great.
    Eager to see the trop. forests and savannas.

Thanks a lot! Well, here's a test for the forests and savannas. Same linework, just a different color. Oh, and some other plateaus, and a canyon test... Hope that works too .

Views:	58 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	75144

Hi Ilanthar, as always it was a great pleasure and very inspiring to read through the wip-thread of another fantastic project of yours! Everything seems to fit together very well on this map: the shape of the landmass, the nice balance of the subtle colours, the excellent work on the various vegetation and the lovely city icons. Not to forget the mountains. The shading looks very good ... without too much linework . Looking forward to see what comes next.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Here's a small update.

Views:	55 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	75181
    Almost finished the north continent (except for labels), so next will be the south continent, then the big eastern one... Still a lot to do!

Another project of yours that i absolutely love, Illanthar! This has been a great journey so far and i am very much looking forward to the rest! Not only do you master the craft of sci fi mapping, no, you also ace the fantasy genre. Well done!
    And if you care to share fluff about the world, i'd be interested (remember, big rpg-nerd here ).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Very very cool Ilanthar! Can't wait to see the next update Just wish this was your annual challenge submission, because it's looks like it could become a winner

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Heh. I completely forgot there was a whole other continent.

This will be really something when it's done. Well heck, it already is.

Hum, well, thanks, that's a lot of compliments !

@Eilathen : yeah, I think I've made more progress with cities/fantasy map than for space maps. Well, I gave my sources of inspiration for this (page 2 I think), and I'm gonna try to give a bit of the setting global issues.
    Apart for the quite forgotten mythical age, the history is quite cyclic (though science & knowledge is globally increasing from one to the next). And most of the inhabitants just remember the last one. For divine and mythical reasons, each cycle begins with the breaking of seven seals by the gods. This allow new fantastic challenges and possibilities to emerge, some restrictions to disapear, and usually result in the foundation of empires or golden eras in some regions. Anyhow, it's a possibility for seven sentient beings to reach immortality, then, to take retirement from the world, usually by joining the gods in their celestial domain.
    In the last cycle, something went partly wrong. Seven empires rose (which is not always the case), two of the future immortals became dangerous and amoral, two others defied the gods and the cosmic rules... Then, the gods and the other planar lords (from dreams, death and abyss) doomed those empires in a more brutal manner than usual, with drastic consequences for some regions, still marked by those cataclysms.
    The time is now in the middle of a cycle : some powers are on the rise, heroes are emerging, the gods haven't broken all the new seals yet. Time and challenges will determine those worthy to be chosen as immortals.

@Tainotim : funny, because I actually thought to make this my annual challenge. Then, I thought I would try something more experimental (for me at least) and chose to do this a regular WIP.

@Diamond : yep, just posting a part, the whole map was too big from the start... So 2 pictures, it will be. And I thought It was useless to show the part I'm not working on, so...

Here's the western continents done (with no labels)... And I see I've forgotten to color one tropical forest.. Hum, that will be corrected.

Views:	51 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	75213

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast