Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Domhantyr

The hand drawn elements are fantastic! I especially love how you did the forests. The colors work very well together and the cities look good as well. Only thing I'm not wild about is the ocean texture. While it looks good zoomed in, from afar it just looks like a repeating pattern and is somewhat distracting. Otherwise wonderful job so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I can't wait to see how you're going to label this beast.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I really like the shape of your lands and islands. I think the darker coasts are better and with the mountains, I think a light and shade difference between each side is hard to beat. Also, though I have never done it myself, when I have taken photos of mountains behind mountains, the area beyond the 'horizon' of a near mountain and the lower slopes of the mountain behind allways seem rather misty and foggy.

Thanks a lot guys!

By Arsheesh
    Only thing I'm not wild about is the ocean texture. While it looks good zoomed in, from afar it just looks like a repeating pattern and is somewhat distracting.
    Yes, that's very true. It's actually a repeating pattern anyway... Maybe I'll add some elements or effects around labels to break it a little. Any suggestion you have in mind could certainly help.

By Diamond
    I can't wait to see how you're going to label this beast.
    Well, that's gonna be a hard part! I'm wondering how I'm gonna do it too . I'll have to determine a lot of names before, anyhow.

By Konraw
    I think the darker coasts are better and with the mountains, I think a light and shade difference between each side is hard to beat. Also, though I have never done it myself, when I have taken photos of mountains behind mountains, the area beyond the 'horizon' of a near mountain and the lower slopes of the mountain behind allways seem rather misty and foggy.
    I'm not sure to catch your meaning, sadly. Do you suggest to rework the mountain shadings? And are the present coast the one you call darker? Thanks a lot for the support anyway !

A bit more of the oriental lands.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr Or.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	75343

Ok, except some possible sea/oceanic illustrations, here's a full view of the map and a first attempt of labelling (in the western part). I think I probably won't label much mountains and forests, let alone the rivers... And I don't know if I'll indicate the different kingdoms/realms. There's about 4, just in the labelled area...

Name:	Domhantyr Oc.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	75367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr Or.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	75368
    Any suggestions/critics/advices welcome!

This is looking really cool. One thing: It might just be my inability to interpret the font style, or it could be the small size, but some of the littlest letters are hard to read. The map looks fabulous, though.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Hey man! First of all amazing map! It's looking like a masterpiece to me!

I have one question, how will you go about making the Ocean's pattern not that visible? The Lower Left corner suffers from this the most, and I was wondering if you were going to fill it up with some sort of hyper intricate compass rose or something of the sort.

Good job!

Thanks for the comments!
    @ Chashio : Here are 2 other font tests... Just tell me what you think is the best.

Name:	Domhantyr F.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	75416 or Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domhantyr F2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	75417?
    @Dörne : I plan to put the key and the title there. But, yeah, I should probably put more elements (compass, indications, monsters maybe) over the seas and oceans.

Looks amazing Ilanthar! So far I prefer the first font, however, I agree with Chashio about the smaller labels. A suggestion could be to use another font for the cities. Something more plain perhaps, less "exotic" for a lack of a better word. On that small size many more artistic fonts suffer. Also, the different fonts helps distinguish what is what on the map

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

The second (righthand) is easier to read of the two, although between the smaller and larger text it looks like you used two different fonts? - the smaller ones have more styling in the capitals (which looks good and is still readable). I also like the larger lefthand font test, on the seas, etc. But as far as "best" goes... I don't know. I liked your original font choice too - just couldn't read all of it. Sorry, that's probably not very helpful.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast