Thread: STATERA World Map (first attempt)

Wip STATERA World Map (first attempt)

Hello fellow cartographers and map makers!

I am here to show my first attempt at a world map of a world I'm creating for D&D campaigns I'm also doing. It has all the continents and the main rivers, lakes and mountains (the less important ones are not depicted in the world map).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scanner_20150910.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	75967

I did this map in the last.. hmm.. 5 days and, being the first map I've ever created and having watched only a couple of youtube basic tutorials on hand drawn maps, I am quite happy with the result. But now that I know if this place I want to redesign it with better techniques (once I come up with names for the continents, oceans and other landmarks).

So I'd like to ask for opinions and some useful tips, as well as tutorials that you believe would be relevant for my world map.

I've already read the Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping, and I'll be reading the Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged and the Positioning names on maps in the next few hours, so you guys can skip those.

Thanks in advance!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

For a first attempt this is phe-no-me-nal!

I'd probably change the coast lines a bit. The bold black makes it look - at least to me - as if that's all cliffs. I mean, if it's all cliffs: kudos.

Banned User

There is a great thread here full of advice (for me when I was learning) on how to draw mountains

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=28985

I really like this! For a first map it's really nice, I do think that you could work on your mountains a bit especially with shading. Some of your rivers seem geography incorrect. Other than that I think this is a great map to build off of, if you want my advice I would say that you should find something that makes your style and maps memorable and different.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    For a first attempt this is phe-no-me-nal!

I'd probably change the coast lines a bit. The bold black makes it look - at least to me - as if that's all cliffs. I mean, if it's all cliffs: kudos.
    First of all, being this the first reply I got and have it so overwhelmingly positive, really motivated me to keep going and improving, so a major thanks to you! I really didn't expect this type of feedback.
    I attempted to do the coastline so it kinda popped out of the sea, so we could differentiate better the land from the water and I did get some nice feedback from friends about it, but I'll totally study some other styles for when I remake it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    There is a great thread here full of advice (for me when I was learning) on how to draw mountains

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=28985
    Thanks! I wasn't very satisfied on how my mountains looked but didn't know how to make them better with the tools I had available at the time, and because I just wanted to get the idea on paper I just went with what you have before your eyes. (The same happened with the forests actually).

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    I really like this! For a first map it's really nice, I do think that you could work on your mountains a bit especially with shading. Some of your rivers seem geography incorrect. Other than that I think this is a great map to build off of, if you want my advice I would say that you should find something that makes your style and maps memorable and different.
    I'll totally work to improve my mountains and I'll also do some research on geography in general (something that I totally should have done before I started the map but didn't) and rivers in particular, as you suggested. I'll start exploring other styles and give them more of a personal touch soon enough in my future maps. Thank you for the tip!

Hi, ruiisu - welcome to the Guild! A map in a post right on the first day you are here - that is worth a little reputation all by itself - thank you for jumping right in.

The map is a nice start. I like the sketchy version of wave lines around the coast - somehow in sections they imply movement better than continuous ones do. You can probably clear up any un-water-like behavior of your rivers by reading Redrobes' wonderful How To Get Your Rivers In The Right Place up near the top of the Tutorial Forum.