Thread: How to make a good frame for a map?

Guild Novice

Question How to make a good frame for a map?

Campagne dragon - I've made this map using Saderan's tutorial which was very useful especially for the mountains and hills. I think I still need to improve the naming of cities, and how to place them in the map. In the island for example I fear it looks like a mess of text.

Another thing that intrigues me concerning maps is the frame and its design. In this one for example I used some decorative celtic knots and incorporated the legend, but I think that framework needs some serious reflection. The frame and it's details reveal much of the caracter and ambience of the world (in this case it's a Dungeons and Dragons like universe) I'm checking to find if there are posts on this subject, didn't find any yet though... So I'd be very interested if any of you have any suggestions

What kind of symbols to incorporate?
    What should its thickness be? Texture? Colours? etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campagne dragon Ani.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	74727  

Just so that you don't feel nobody is listening... I've looked at your map and read your "wonderings". Can't help about the border, I go by gut feeling entirely. As for the doubts about labeling - ravells recently directed me to this resource: Positioning names on maps. You should have a look.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the advice, I just had a look, it helped to put some order on what I sometimes draw intuitively

Guild Novice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC2 3 propositions mer.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	75293

Hello! since my last post about this map, I've done some research and got inspired by many of the maps and artists in this forum.
    So I decided to redo it in another style, "old" looking paper. Here are 3 versions of the sea colour, I just wanted to know which one you prefer and think looks best for this kind of style. And of course, whatever other comment you would have is welcome

This looks great! I love the icons you use for cities and the edge of the map is really nice.

Now to your question: I think they are ordered as they should be. The first one looks the best followed closely by the second, the third doesn't go so well with the land color so i would put it way behind.

One minor comment, I think the Dragon texture is kind of off compared to the rest of the map.

All in all amazing, I hope to be this good in the future

Beau boulot! Everything is very well done (excellent icons and design, indeed).
    I think I prefer the second one, the darker blue is very appealing.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the first one (the light blue one) the best, followed by the dark blue. Not a huge fan of the last one.

All in all, a very pleasing map, and I love the city symbols - they're distinctive without overwhelming the whole map.

I also cast my vote on either version one or two. Both look very good... I couldn't decide between them. Third version lacks a little contrast between land and see.

And I agree with the other commenters: the icons are extremely well done and fit this map perfectly.

On the other hand, the embossed dragon - while it also looks good on itself - doesn't really fit with the rest of the map. Could you try to redo it in a more drawing-style, like the icons?

Guild Novice

As for me, I think I prefer the first one a little bit more, but the dungeon master of this campaign prefers the second...
    As for the dragon, yes I know, I'm working on it, since the story is about dragons I wanted them to appear somewhere on the map, maybe a coat of arms with a dragon head... I'll post it here when I'm done.

Thanks everybody!

Nice work on this. The borders are very nice, as are the icons. I'm with everyone else, number one and two are the best, though I sort of prefer number two.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh