Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] Untitled Primordial Region

Update.

Not something you see every day at CG. A coloured pencil map. I was close to finishing this in pencil, but I thought I might as well colour it. I decided to take the plunge and colour it, for two reasons: I've been using coloured pencil a lot recently, and it makes everything more readable and gives a better feel of the landscape in general.

Quick photo so lighting isn't great. Much lighter irl, as usual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	436.4 KB 
ID:	75015

I quite like the forests. I'm trying to make the colours a little loose and "water-coloury".
    Last edited by TaylorH; 07-30-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    http://thwoodsman.blogspot.co.uk/
    Conservation, Traditional Skills & Travel

Good update TaylorH! Nice approach.

Mixed feelings and rapidly fluctuating morale due to taking the colour plunge! Hurray.
    Well, I quite like the forests and the use of colours for the hills, but I'm really not great with browns. It looks a bit ugly to me. I'm trying to give the whole thing a bit of a flow and trying to make the colours more suggestive than anything. Going for a particular style. This is actually my first coloured map.

What do you think so far?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	440.6 KB 
ID:	75045
    http://thwoodsman.blogspot.co.uk/
    Conservation, Traditional Skills & Travel

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The browns may be a little dark, but I think that's just because the whole thing isn't done yet. Once the rest of the color is in place, I think those cliffs will blend nicely. It's just hard to get a read on it without everything in place, and there's no easy way to mock up a sample to see how it'd look. Forests are looking awesome - nice mix of colors there.

The forests are great. Start thinking now about how you want to finish off the coloring at the edges... will effect what you do outside your penciled area. (i.e. do you finish where you have your penciled drawing? Do you do a hard edge with white space? Do you slowly fade out the color? Do you color the entire thing? )

I dig it Very whimsical. Look forward to seeing it when you've finished coloring it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12