Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is conceptual. Do I belong here?

Guild Novice

Question This is conceptual. Do I belong here?

Hi there! I've been lurking for quite some time and finally decided to join. I love all maps, but when I create, they are pretty conceptual. Is there a place to show my maps here, or are mine too far from the idea of what's typically shown in these forums? I also draw more "standard elements" but my maps are my favorites. The one I'm showing I call a universe map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	75163  

There's no reason why more abstract maps wouldn't be welcome. You may not get as much feedback as with other maps because they are naturally harder to comment on but they would be a nice addition.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    There's no reason why more abstract maps wouldn't be welcome. You may not get as much feedback as with other maps because they are naturally harder to comment on but they would be a nice addition.
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I post more of them. Btw your maps are beautiful.

I would agree with Larb. The biggest thing you would face in terms of comments and such would be that for people to comment they would have to be given some explanation of what the map was and how it achieves its goal.
    Visually, I like what you doing here. I can't say that I fully grasp how it is a universe map but it may not be complete yet.
    I would certainly enjoy any further contributions you would make. The style is attractive.

It looks like the sort of map that can be decoded to provide a very specific piece of information, like the kind of thing you'd find in Myst. Keep it up, I love out of the box concepts like these.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback. The idea of pushing it by showing more tangible information interests me, as does the relationship to the idea of what you'd use in Myst. I'll have to think about where to go with it now.

It's pretty, all right. Next I want to know what does it DO? :-)

Tell us something about what the user is going to do with it. I'd buy it being an abstract game board, a metaphysical navigation aid, or a diagram from a physics text... Any of which could be a Universe Map. Do you have in mind who drew it, and what he wanted to show?

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    It's pretty, all right. Next I want to know what does it DO? :-)

Tell us something about what the user is going to do with it. I'd buy it being an abstract game board, a metaphysical navigation aid, or a diagram from a physics text... Any of which could be a Universe Map. Do you have in mind who drew it, and what he wanted to show?
    It's one of my pieces. It's underlying drawing is based on sacred geometry. It was inspired by the Cosmati Pavement in Westminster Abbey. The thinking about that particular work is that it illustrated the emergence of life in three stages. So four of the corners are the four elements, the interior bands are the qualities of the elements, and the center called the Silva is unformed matter before creation.

I guess it could be thought of either as a map or a calendar. I'll scan an image of the actual geometry underneath the painting so you can see the architecture of the painting.

Guild Novice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	75212

This is the skeleton.

Could even be a floor plan or top view of a castle...
    Last edited by Windrose; 08-08-2015 at 11:11 AM.

I guess it could be thought of either as a map or a calendar.
    What is a calendar if not a map of the fourth dimension?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast