Thread: [Unpaid] World Design Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help [Unpaid] World Design Project

I have begun what will probably be over a year long process of designing a world for my local gaming group. I intend to develop the world in great detail starting big, and then focusing in on a region followed by individual realms.

My thought about how to do this from a mapping perspective is to use ProFantasy software to begin with a world in Fractal Terrains Pro and move down to Campaign Cartographer 3 for the region and realm maps, and City Designer 3 for villages, towns and cities. I will probably use Dundjinni for dungeon maps when I get to that stage.

I have very little experience using the ProFantasy software though I own all of the programs. I began with a tutorial on FT Pro, but am having trouble finding a world that would work. I have a region map sketched out on graph paper (which I will post when I get home) that I would like to find an analogous location for in the world I generate. I am not trying to shoehorn the region into the world, but more trying to find a similar location in the world then rearranging the region to fit.

Anyway, I thought that maybe someone here with experience with the ProFantasy suite would be interested in helping with this project. For now the work would be unpaid, but if the end result of my work is at a level of quality that satisfies me, I would consider self-publishing. At that time I would consider negotiating a fair price to use the maps with full credit to the cartographer. Since I own the software to be used, I would want to exchange the files used rather than just exchanging jpegs or whatever.

Commission:
    Unpaid for now. Possible payment at a future date if publishing becomes an option.

Style:
    I have not settled on a style yet. Obviously the world map will be somewhat photo-realistic as designed in FT Pro. The region, realm, and city maps will be done in CC3 and CD3. An existing style will be chosen.

Description of Map:
    I will attach a map of the initial region of development called the 12 Kingdoms. This area will consist of 12 city-states in the west bordering a sea, separated from an empire to the east by a north-south mountain range.
    The world should have two or three large continents and several islands and/or island chains. The region described above should fit somewhere on one of the large continents.
    The scale of the maps will vary depending on the focus of the map.

Quality & Size:
    Professional
    Required for print and web
    Dimensions of maps will vary depending on the focus of the map.
    Raster/Vector – Not sure. Willing to discuss with cartographer.

Copyright:
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain. If the project reaches this stage a lawyer will draw up a contract to be signed by both parties.

Well that about does it for now. I'll post the sketch I have when I get home (around 4pm EST).

Regards,

Kalex the Omen

[Update]
    I may have found my world in FT Pro. FTW file attached.

This section would be the 12 Kingdoms Region...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 Kingdoms Region.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	6920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0009.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	6934  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kalex the Omen; 10-08-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: New Information