I came across this forum trying to find guidance, direction, assistance in supporting my son who has a passion for all things maps and geography and can spend hours drawing them on his own. While I know much of the mapping software listed in the software forum is fantasy based I was hoping some of you can steer me in the right direction for tools that are age appropriate and will support his interests. Looking for:

* Mapping software where he can bring his imagination to life. Mapping neighborhoods, towns, cities, states, countries, etc. Not interested (at the moment) in mapping buildings.
* Books, websites, etc. that can provide the tools to map making using compass, protractors, etc.
* Any other resources that will help us delve deeper into his passion for maps and mapping.

A little about him:
* He turns 6 on Saturday so something age appropriate that's not going to advertise gaming, violence, etc. He already knows all the continents, countries, states, territories, cities, landmarks, etc. He has an uncanny ability to look a map, remember it and apply it so we don't need anything that teaches geography.
* He spends hours drawing his own maps.
* He also has a strong sense of numbers, computing, etc.
* This love of all things geography and maps started soon after his 4th birthday so it's pretty ingrained!

I'm looking for tools that will allow him to explore deeper into this passion however not exactly sure what this looks like as it's all new territory for me. He would love to bring his own imaginary places to life as well as recreate ones he already knows.

Thank you for sharing any thoughts and ideas you may have!