Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Northlands

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I was just looking at the type and it's possible that Jakob's Bridge starts with a lower case 'j'.

You're really mastering this excellent and proven style! Well done.

Thanks Snodsy. The font, 1550, has some weird and unusual capitals which is one reason I use lowers.
    The cap for J looks like an I and the U looks like a V. It's a shame because I love that font. I guess maybe in 1550 it was written that way.
    As Meshon said, the j in Jakob's is a lower case increased in size because the upper J looks like an I and I didn't want that confusion.

Thank you Ilanthar. It is getting better and more doable.
    The first one, ESB, took me a month. This one was just around 4 days to a week.

John; two other fonts that are similar but might have better letterforms. Broadsheet & Old style, both free.

http://ufonts.com/fonts/broadsheet.html
    http://www.dafont.com/oldstyle-hplhs.font

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Thanks Sap and ChickPea.
    Thank you Max. They were drawn separately and added after.
    I made an effort to integrate some of them but didn't notice a few others that weren't integrated until after I posted this.
    On a few of the icons I did alter them to fit their locations but missed some.
    Originally I tried drawing them right in but I wasn't happy with how they were turning out so I started drawing them on a different document.
    Icons can be tricky. If you draw them separately you might have some different outline thickness (like here) and it's sometimes hard to integrate them on a map ( I still have a nice set of icons drawn separately that I couldn't use on a single map yet ). Drawing in the icons directly on the map can be hard too, depending on the map size and the scale. The thickness can be preserved but crispy details can be lost.

Wow, this is wonderful. I'd call this map-art...it looks more like a painting. I really dig it...very evocative. If i can, I'll rep. you.
    I hope you'll give us more maps in this style in the days to come!

Edit :
    Awww...can't rep. you yet
    And lol...Brot? I have to say that kind of kills my immersion a bit *Eilathen, being a member of the german speaking folks*
    Last edited by Eilathen; 07-18-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks Snodsy. I like both of those. There's something about 1550 that resonates more with me but I do need to use some other fonts.
    I really should crank up Fontlab and make my own that does what I want. It's just so time consuming to do.

Max - yep, that was one of the problems I have faced as well. I often draw icons separately and of course the line weight is always different from whatever map I hope to use them on which is why I don't use them often. But I keep trying them out every so often.

Thank you Eilathen. That is a very generous comment.
    I am sure more maps of this style are in the future. I'm going to try Pixie's suggestion when time permits.
    I know... Brot.

This is a lovely map. The trees are great but my favorite is the rock spine on the right side.

Thank you F.Abu.
    My favorite part[s] are the bits at the top that stick out past the edge.
    I'm going to be doing that more often.

I love the style and the angle of this map. The colors, trees, all of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast