Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orobis / Style Test

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks for the votes, guys, that was pretty much my thinking as well.

@Chick: I did do an 'in-between' version, but it incorporated most of the bad aspects and none of the good, so I scrapped it.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

@Chick: I did do an 'in-between' version, but it incorporated most of the bad aspects and none of the good, so I scrapped it.
    You're supposed to do it the other way around

One more vote for the light version! Excellent work... and waiting for the next improvements .

Okay, I lied; here's some minor tweaks.

I lightened the terrain texture layer quite a bit since this is a political map and I didn't want the mountains etc. distracting from the borders and cities. Obviously this alters the color balance; a lot of that nifty rich orange is bled out now, but more color (mainly browns, reds, yellows, purples in pastel shades) will be added in later for various political divisions.

This version is half size so you can see the details a little better.

Oh, I should note that the parchment background is from Schwarzkreuz (I'm almost positive; if I'm wrong please correct me).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OLOO3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	74802  

I did like the orange-ish tones of the original light version, but I can understand your reasons for toning it down. I'll be interested to see it come together as you start adding features.

I somehow overlooked this before, but I love the dirty, sorta burned edges look you have around the map. Looks fab!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks, Chickpea!

Here's some preliminary work on the borders, etc. I'm not convinced I like the font - it looks fine in the title box, less so on the map itself. Maybe I'll go to Roman Antique. Still lots more to do on borders - eventually I want to show not only national divisions but smaller internal divisions within the Empire also.

Name:	OLOO4.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	74811  

Guild Adept

Really liking this style, very cool. Looking forward to see what you do with this.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

I like it, but I think the "Empire" is a bit difficult to read over the lakes. And as I like the colors for the political divisions, I think a hatched color border line would look great.

Yes, I agree about the legibility. I've changed the font to something more readable. For the border lines, the plan is to change them (and the interior colors) depending on what's being represented. I'll have a distinct look for the Empire lands proper, for puppet states (like Enassi), for Imperial Territories, for city-states, and for independent nations.

Some more stuff done. I decided not to get too crazy complicated with the overall color scheme, as it might make it difficult to differentiate regions/states. I don't want to get into Holy Roman Empire levels of border insanity here.

I changed the font to Charlemagne also; I think it improves legibility significantly.

Name:	OLOO5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	74938  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast