Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for critques

Default Looking for critques

So, just finished this up last night and I was wanting to get some second-hand opinions. Terrain placement, additions, ideas... anything really. Always looking to improve

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437108964850.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	74782  

Wow that just looks gorgeous! Great job! The one thing though that strikes me, is that I sometimes have a hard time of differenciate between sea and land - especially in the south east part and that inland sea. Maybe add a second line to the shore line? But it really does look beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidgange View Post
    Wow that just looks gorgeous! Great job! The one thing though that strikes me, is that I sometimes have a hard time of differenciate between sea and land - especially in the south east part and that inland sea. Maybe add a second line to the shore line? But it really does look beautiful!
    I've thought the exact same thing! I was considering going around the coastlines with "depth lines" just to make them pop more. Coloring it may work too...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, that is pretty great artwork! I'm with Vidgange about the difference between land and water; additionally, a couple of your river systems are broken - the one between Gion and Ederne seems to have rivers starting in the mountains in the east and at that lake, that then meet and split again, having two separate mouths. Then there's the big one in Rithmere and Sedhar that has all kinds of issues - smaller rivers merge as they flow downhill, eventually creating one larger river that has one exit point to the sea; this one's got what looks like four separate mouths. On the other hand, the one between Caralain and Favelas is a perfect example of what a river system should look like.

Wow, this is pretty awesome. Please tell me you have a scanner! I'd love to see this in a higher definition.

Oh, and some rep for a map in your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Yep, that is pretty great artwork! I'm with Vidgange about the difference between land and water; additionally, a couple of your river systems are broken - the one between Gion and Ederne seems to have rivers starting in the mountains in the east and at that lake, that then meet and split again, having two separate mouths. Then there's the big one in Rithmere and Sedhar that has all kinds of issues - smaller rivers merge as they flow downhill, eventually creating one larger river that has one exit point to the sea; this one's got what looks like four separate mouths. On the other hand, the one between Caralain and Favelas is a perfect example of what a river system should look like.
    Yep, you're spot on with noticing those. Many of them I would've redone after I noticed them, but erasing on this paper just leaves deep, noticeable creases. I think on my next one I'll do a better rough draft before starting on the final paper. I like to try and console myself by just saying "everything has different elevations, its ok... its ok..." x)

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
    Wow, this is pretty awesome. Please tell me you have a scanner! I'd love to see this in a higher definition.

Oh, and some rep for a map in your first post.
    Thanks! My fingers hate me, but hey, I think it was worth it
    That's the bane of my existence- no scanner
    This is also with my phone cam, so its definetly not top tier quality. I may be able to borrow a friends camera to retake.
    As for this being my first post, I've been visiting the site for a couple years, I just never actually thought about posting anything. I'm trying to pick it up a bit more, so this may become semi-regular!

Great artwork. I like the configuration of the land and I think your labeling is very good too. I think sea and land are perfectly discernible, although coastal hatching or a dot/wave pattern in the sea would probably be an improvement.

It's a pitty though, that the rivers are so off. Mountain placement, on the other hand, is just fine.
    I'm with Diamond on his critique, but it seems you already understand that. So let's take this one for the visible impact, and the next one will be even better.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Wow, very nice and obviously a lot of work has gone into this! Have you considered picking up a digital application and trying to replicate this on the computer?

Colours would surely help! But on the other hand, that map is just so beautiful in black and white that I almost don't want colour added ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast