Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make concentric coastal ripple effects with outer glow in Photoshop

Banned User

That's the kind of thing I was thinking of, but that list hasn't been updated in over 2 years now. If it were kept up to date, and included non-pdf ones, it would be a fantastic resource. I'd also suggest that the list itself be stickied and locked, so it wasn't obscured by "I like this" posts.

@ Chick, I missed the response Waldronate made to your tutorial on the layer/stroke method to make coastal rings, however, I hardly call that pre-existing material or particularly easy to find, as it appears no one else that has responded to this thread knew about it. And not to be insulting to Waldonate, but the image he provided didn't do the concept any justice, especially as it wasn't a tutorial showing how to do it.

Also, I respectfully contend that the method you're promoting is simpler or superior. It requires the creation and management of a new layer for every ring, with an effect for each new layer. More importantly, if you change the silhouette of your coast at any time after you've created the effect, you have to start the whole process over again.

Using my method, I create a glow, load the contour file, and pick a size; done. I can paint new land or remove old land and watch the effect update live. I can grow or shrink it, live, or change its range to push the rings close or further out from the coast. Yes, it has a limitation of 5 rings but I highly doubt most people will want more. You didn't in the lasted map you made; I only count four.

Yes contours can be difficult to use if you are new, but you can also save and load them. I've provided the files necessary in this tutorial so all a new photoshop user needs to do is hit the 'load' button. They can mess with them at their leisure, later, as they become more proficient.
    Last edited by morikahn; 07-20-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: keeping the peace

Wow! Love this technique. Like the fact the you can change the landscape and it updates, thanks for post. Very simple technique too, don't think the Contour thing is that difficult. On CS5.5 in photoshop worked the same.

I can make this tutorial into a PDF if its more useful in that fashion. Is there a reason why this is preferable?

No, I think it's just because it looks better.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Also pdfs are easy to download and have on your laptop for when you're travelling in a car for several hours and want to try some things when it's your turn to sit in the passenger seat. Or, you know, something less specific.

cheers,
    Meshon

Cool! I wish GIMP had similar features so I could try this out. Ah well, nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12