Thread: Howdy! I'm new here!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Howdy! I'm new here!

Greetings!

I've been lurking here for quite a while, but this is (I think) my first post. I found the site through the Profantasy community board; I'm amazed at the beautiful maps here.

Behind the screen name my real name is Anthony. I've loved maps for as long as I can remember, so perhaps it's not surprising I supervise a library that boasts a very large map collection. I also enjoy fantasy and science-fiction literature and RPGs (used to freelance write for that industry), so, yeah, maps figured prominently again.

Anyway, after years of owning Campaign Cartographer and not doing much with it, I decided to get serious and start learning the program (currently CC3+). I've finished a 1.0 version of my first map, a small fantasy region, and thought I'd share it here for critiquing. (I've already posted it at the Profantasy boards) While I see a section for completed work, I don't see one for "works in progress." Where should I post a map I plan to revise?

Regardless, it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to learning here.

Banned User

Hello Anthony! Welcome to the Guild!

If you are involved with a library map collection, you might be interested in this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30761

You don't say where your library is, but perhaps you would like to consider something like that as well. If so, please feel free to email me (my email is in my profile About Me) and I'd bet that Kanny would love to hear from you as well.

As for your CC3 effort, it looks very nice for a first map! If you want to share it for critique here, start a thread in the appropriate Mapmaking Discussion & Philosophy (WIP/Critique) section of the forum, I'm sure you'll get plenty of constructive ideas

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hi Chick,

Thanks for the welcome. I supervise UCLA's Geology-Geophysics Collection, which is a part of the larger Biomedical/Science & Engineering Library. Our map room is one of the biggest in the western US, with plenty of fascinating old topos. Kanny's thread looks very interesting; I'll give it a close reading tomorrow.

Thanks for the compliment about my map, and for the pointer to the right section for it! Don't know how I didn't see that at the start.