Thread: As yet unamed fantasy continent

Wip As yet unamed fantasy continent

So this is my first proper foray into mapping of any kind. Eventually Im intending to use this as the setting for a tabletop game, but for now I'm just really enjoying the whole process.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150724_185031572.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	900.5 KB 
ID:	74944

I started with a pencil and paper drawing, then proceeded to add base colour with watercolors and tea. In the end I decided to just use this as a base concept and began to convert it to a digital project.

Name:	Map Simple.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	74945

First attempt at making a digital version resulted in the above, which is by no means finished (Still lacking cities, towns, ocean, river and island names etc), however I am surprisingly pleased with it considering its my first attempt at such a thing.

Name:	Map wip .jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	476.2 KB 
ID:	74946

I also began on a more atlas style view with help from the fantastic tutorial I found on this site. Again still a WIP but I think it could have turned out a lot worse.
    Please feel free to comment, give feedback, criticize or shout abuse, any tips or tricks/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Guild Novice

Nice work The coastlines look reasonable and the colours are nicely picked. A couple notes:

- On the vegetation map the country borders look a little river-ish, and that tricked me into thinking the rivers were doing strange things.
    - You have one river (in Atha) seeming to originate in an area that I take to be desert or arid? Unless this is a seasonal river (i.e. usually dry except for when desert rains come through), it'd be unlikely to come out of a dry area like that perhaps
    - The sizes of the countries are all (fairly) similar with just one smaller country to the south (Caprona). Historical geopolitics tends to result in lots of different sized nations, with a few big empires (at any one time) and smaller nations slotted in around them. Maybe check out a book like The Times Historical Atlas of Europe and look through how the country borders move over time.

Nice work. It'll be interesting to see where the map goes

Chris
    Long ago the Queen of Day and Queen of Night fought a world-spanning war. So terrible was this war that it threatened to shatter the living earth: so the Goddess-Queens agreed on a truce, sharing half the world's time each. Now armies are stirring in the Night-Places again, but would the Night-Queen truly betray the truce, and why?