Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
I like the vegetation a lot. The rocky shores and water look too "clipart" for me (especially compared with the vegetation - this is just not my taste). The overall layout of the creek is cool, it looks natural.
Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
I think the water and rocks are both standard Gimp textures. Zip over to one of the texture sites and replace with some nice photographed seamless textures and you have a winner!
It's ALL standard GIMP textures. Like I said, I was playing with a technique and just threw this down. The only thing I "painted" on this was the burn/dodge(which is by no means perfect) on a copy of the rock layer. Everything else is a texture layer with well sculpted layermask(which is the technique part I have been playing with in the first place). I just did not want to spend the time to find something a bit more pretty for the water part. I DO like the rocky part though... End result, not counting the burn/dodge, if I wanted to recreate this, the whole thing would take about 3 minutes, which is kind of the goal of the hour or so of playing around in trying to figure out best practices and such. I think I am going to do a short Layer Mask tutorial if there is not one already on the site.