Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP mapping style advice needed

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

More of a suggestion/idea to try out than a criticism:

Instead of just placing the resource icons semi-randomly next to the cities, what about a little vertical scroll or box next to each city with the resources on that? Might make things more uniform and neat.

Midgardsormr, no its photoshop. Thanks for advice I'll play around with emboss some interesting results so far

Chick, thank you for feedback what do you think of the last try?

Diamond, I'll definitely play around with the placement of icons. Speaking of which I accumulated some icons and wanted to pick a style for mines, which ones do you think is more appropriate for this map style (bottom left)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-6.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	75387
    Last edited by ukie; 08-16-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ukie View Post
    Chick, thank you for feedback what do you think of the last try?
    Definite improvement, good ocean texture, but the colors are still way too bright

It's all about taste, and you may prefer it your way, but this is more like what I would do:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TweakbyChick.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	666.7 KB 
ID:	75388
    Last edited by Chick; 08-16-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Definite improvement, good ocean texture, but the colors are still way too bright
    Lol ouch )) I see what you mean, I guess I have to confess, I do kinda like bright colors...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the crossed picks you already have in place. I also like the pick in the circle, but I feel like it would compete/distract too much with the city icons.

And I've gotta agree with Chick's toned-down argument.

I'm going to stick with preferring the saturated version. Muted colors are popular in these parts, and that's a style I gravitate toward, myself, so I do like seeing something more vibrant from time to time, as long as the colors are unified, which these are.

I also prefer the color-coded crossed tools for mines. However, the crossed axes for foresters is too similar. I'd do one axe for that and the crossed tools for the mines.

Incidentally, the plural of "sheep" is "sheep," there is no u in "horses," and "zinc" ends in a c.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post

Incidentally, the plural of "sheep" is "sheep," there is no u in "horses," and "zinc" ends in a c.
    Holy crap I'm so embarrassed for my illiteracy. Too reliant on spellcheck... Thanks for pointing it out Midgardsormr and my ears are burning with shame right now...

Lol. I know what you mean. I've gotten pretty dependent on the little red squigglies, too.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I think a lot of this map depends on your final medium. I'm not sure if you talked about it yet or not, but to me this map looks like it would be perfect for some kind of board game.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Lol. I know what you mean. I've gotten pretty dependent on the little red squigglies, too.
    *sigh* technology is awesome but makes you so dependent, sometimes I feel like I'm getting dumber every time I go online.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I think a lot of this map depends on your final medium. I'm not sure if you talked about it yet or not, but to me this map looks like it would be perfect for some kind of board game.
    It's for a world I created. I will post a full map as soon as I'm done. This is only about 5%. I'm working on a political version right now and also want to make pseudo-hand drawn version with toned down colors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast