Thread: Newbie - advice on software permitting import of map and plotting of data onto it.

Guild Applicant

Map Newbie - advice on software permitting import of map and plotting of data onto it.

Newbie - advice on software permitting import of map and plotting of data onto it.
    Next year is the 150th anniversary of the re-introductiom of Lay Readers in the C of E. in connection with that I am working on a project to map the distribution of readers in my county at different 10 year periods over the last 150 years. I have an excel list of data (year; person; parish;6 figure map ref of church at heart of the parish.) I also have an outline map of the county at 6 miles to the inch and a map of the parish boundaries at 8 miles to the inch.
    I am seeking advice as to the best software (inexpensive or free preferable) which will let me import the two outline maps that I have, correlate them to the same scale and then use the data I have to plot symbols on the composite map and produce 16 maps showing where Lay readers had been appointed at 1866, 2016 and each of the 14 intervening ten year intervals.
    This is to form the basis of an exhibition on the history of Lay Readers in the county for the 150th anniversary next year. Hopefully, one of the members of this forum can point me to the most appropriate software.

Blog Entries

sounds like you need a GIS system

what Operating system you use will dictate what you can use

i DO NOT use microsoft windows , but use Linux .
    the main program i use is ISIS3 but this is VERY !!! specialized for the planets in this solar system ( not earth )

but i also use GRASS and QGIS
    http://grass.osgeo.org/
    http://www.qgis.org/en/site/
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Hello,

I am newbie myself in terms of applying data to map, but couldn't Tilemill be of use in this situation?