Thread: Renaissance Castle

Default Renaissance Castle

Here is my attempt at designing a renaissance style castle, combining a palatial residence suitable for a king with the latest fortifications to defend against artillery. The old castle sits on top of a rocky peninsula with cliffs all around. The base of the peninsula is cut off by a large crown work with lobed bastions based on the style of Italian fortifications of the 1500's. Each bastion is equipped with a cavalier for additional firepower, and there are two ravelines for additional protection of the walls.

The palace includes the remains of the previous Gothic and Romanesque palace, most of which was destroyed in a fire. The renaissance palace is much grander and more palatial, taking up land which was formerly dedicated to outbuildings and incorporating the keep. The castle also has extensive subterranean workings including casemates dug into the cliff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cliff Castle.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	75119

Banned User

That looks like a pretty interesting place!

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Really nice! Can't wait to see more of this!

Edit: Oops, never mind! It's in Finished Maps, so good job!
    Last edited by Kiba; 08-04-2015 at 12:27 AM.
    Moonflowers is about an Irish guy, an American girl who ends up living with him, and the dog they rescue. Who is secretly the girl's presumed-dead father.

...Yeah, it's that kind of story.

And by story, I mean "fairy-tale."

And by fairy-tale, I mean "the unsettling kind."

I recommend you return to this map and work on making the text more legible. The pattern on the ocean makes it almost impossible to read the small labels floating on top of it. I'd also make it very clear what areas are open ground, and what areas are buildings, as its not immediately evident at casual glance. Some sort of scale would be useful to.

Looks good! Reminds me of an inverted Gibraltar.