Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Timey World Map

Blog Entries

The graticule is really screwy. You seem to have mistaken the Tropic of Cancer for the equator and the spacing of the parallels is haphazard. You seem to be aiming for a Mercator projection, particularly given you've included rhumb lines and compass roses. Any cylindrical map projection is going to have the graticule mirrored about the equator but whether that really is the line you labelled "Equator" or one of the others, there's no mirroring. The specific spacing depends on the projection and how you divide up the quarter turn of angle between the equator and the poles. This has nothing to do with accuracy of surveying or changing the actual shape of the landforms: a planet is still a planet, and math is still math. This just looks wrong. Choosing to seemingly cover the entire planet and then cut off 5-10 degrees on each side also seems like a really, really strange decision that looks wrong. The alternating black and white border should also be lined up with the graticule. The reason for having such borders is to provide additional resolution without cluttering the map.

If the world in the map is genuinely different in how the land is arranged then the following doesn't apply.

It's also worth noting that the mistakes in surveying given the level of sophistication you seem to be after tend to be much more pronounced east-west than north-south. Latitude can be measured fairly easily while longitude is hard to measure accurately. If you compare a real map of the era you seem to be mimicing like this one https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...gondy-1784.jpg to a modern map in Normal Mercator projection like this one https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...jection_SW.jpg You'll see that the latitudes of features are quite accurate while most of the large errors are in terms of longitude. For instance, the tropic of cancer touches the south end of the Baja Peninsula, just misses the north end of Cuba, passes a little to the north of the easternmost point of Arabia, approximately 'cuts off' India between the northern extents of the Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal, then cuts through Taiwan (Formosa). The width of the Bering Strait is also a bit over the top. Baffin Bay is out by a factor of 2-3 in the real 18th century map and Bering Strait by maybe as much as 5, but you have the Bering Strait out by something more like a factor of 20. It makes for nicer composition, but being inaccurate for the sake of composition is not good cartography.

The wildly different typefaces and overly ornate faces being used at to small a size for their detail are also problematic. Your labels feel disjointed as a result. Mismatching horizontal and curved labels for the same class of feature arbitrarily also hurts the cohesiveness of the map. Eduard Imhof's Positioning Names on Maps is an awesome resource on labelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    The graticule is really screwy. You seem to have mistaken the Tropic of Cancer for the equator and the spacing of the parallels is haphazard. You seem to be aiming for a Mercator projection, particularly given you've included rhumb lines and compass roses. Any cylindrical map projection is going to have the graticule mirrored about the equator but whether that really is the line you labelled "Equator" or one of the others, there's no mirroring. The specific spacing depends on the projection and how you divide up the quarter turn of angle between the equator and the poles. This has nothing to do with accuracy of surveying or changing the actual shape of the landforms: a planet is still a planet, and math is still math. This just looks wrong. Choosing to seemingly cover the entire planet and then cut off 5-10 degrees on each side also seems like a really, really strange decision that looks wrong. The alternating black and white border should also be lined up with the graticule. The reason for having such borders is to provide additional resolution without cluttering the map.

If the world in the map is genuinely different in how the land is arranged then the following doesn't apply.

It's also worth noting that the mistakes in surveying given the level of sophistication you seem to be after tend to be much more pronounced east-west than north-south. Latitude can be measured fairly easily while longitude is hard to measure accurately. If you compare a real map of the era you seem to be mimicing like this one https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...gondy-1784.jpg to a modern map in Normal Mercator projection like this one https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...jection_SW.jpg You'll see that the latitudes of features are quite accurate while most of the large errors are in terms of longitude. For instance, the tropic of cancer touches the south end of the Baja Peninsula, just misses the north end of Cuba, passes a little to the north of the easternmost point of Arabia, approximately 'cuts off' India between the northern extents of the Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal, then cuts through Taiwan (Formosa). The width of the Bering Strait is also a bit over the top. Baffin Bay is out by a factor of 2-3 in the real 18th century map and Bering Strait by maybe as much as 5, but you have the Bering Strait out by something more like a factor of 20. It makes for nicer composition, but being inaccurate for the sake of composition is not good cartography.

The wildly different typefaces and overly ornate faces being used at to small a size for their detail are also problematic. Your labels feel disjointed as a result. Mismatching horizontal and curved labels for the same class of feature arbitrarily also hurts the cohesiveness of the map. Eduard Imhof's Positioning Names on Maps is an awesome resource on labelling.
    It feels like you are assuming things about this map, which if true, you have the wrong idea of what this map is for.

This clearly isn't meant to be an accurate map of the known world. This is meant as slightly humorous exaggeration of the our world. This is going to be used in advertising, and everything you see, was done on purpose, with the expressed intent of not being accurate, but to reflect the character that will be going along with this map.

No one would ever use this map for educational or navigational purposes. In the end, there will be about 20 icons added, and a dotted line path. When you click on the icons, a journal image will open, and there will be a short story for people to read about that location, and how it inspired one of the products the company makes.

Sure, I didn't include a lot of information about what the map was for. But I think it's pretty clear, this isn't meant to be an actual, factual map of the world, but a stylized illustration of the world, with some humor in it.
    Last edited by TimPaul; 08-06-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: wanted to change the whole tone of my response.

Splendid piece of work, Tim!

Qestion for you: Did you draw the sea illustrations or do you have a source online? I have a little experimental map I'm doing to (finally) try out some colored ink I got awhile ago and it has a bunch of beasties on it. Different style entirely, but I think it'd be very useful to have a bank/library of inspiration for those kinds of illustrations all in one place, if there's one around. ?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Splendid piece of work, Tim!

Qestion for you: Did you draw the sea illustrations or do you have a source online? I have a little experimental map I'm doing to (finally) try out some colored ink I got awhile ago and it has a bunch of beasties on it. Different style entirely, but I think it'd be very useful to have a bank/library of inspiration for those kinds of illustrations all in one place, if there's one around. ?
    Everything I drew. I have a lot of map resources, so I researched various sea creatures and ships and then created my own similar monsters to invoke a sense of a certain time period.

I draw digitally, I have a 22" CintiqHD monitor, so I draw with a stylus directly on screen. My process tends to be similar to traditional methods. I do a rough pencil, often in blue line. For some aspects, I create art in Illustrator, and bring that into the photoshop file as a guide, or as the actual art.

I scan paper, for texture, or I create it using different kinds of brushes, and build up.

So if I want, I can reuse the ships and monsters for other maps. Slowly building up my own library.

Then I applaud you greatly, because it worked. I recognized some of the basic forms from elsewhere, like the fish on the right with the huge mouth, but I wasn't sure if it was exactly the same thing or not... so I figured I'd ask and see if I was missing out on some great resource of such artwork. It's excellently done. My digital process is very similar, it sounds like, although I don't have a Cintiq or use Illustrator often.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Then I applaud you greatly, because it worked. I recognized some of the basic forms from elsewhere, like the fish on the right with the huge mouth, but I wasn't sure if it was exactly the same thing or not... so I figured I'd ask and see if I was missing out on some great resource of such artwork. It's excellently done. My digital process is very similar, it sounds like, although I don't have a Cintiq or use Illustrator often.
    The large mouth fish, was one I drew from memory. The client asked for more creatures and boats at one point, and I just remembered a large mouth creature in research, and just drew it as I felt.

All maps before 1927 (? are part of the public domain, and you don't violate any copyright pulling from them. I suggest creating your own library and resources. I don't copy the images, I just draw my own version of sea monsters I commonly see in actual maps. because those guys ripped each other off ALL the time.

I'll have to do some looking around for such, then. Thanks for the tip!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I like it a lot. It looks like a map that should be on a sea captain's table.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

did the company ask for the southern hemisphere to be so small?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12