Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Inhabitants of the world. Any need for illustrations?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

LOL! Ok ok! I succumb under the (admittedly justified) criticism. I have now revised the dwarf image. I removed the bolts altogether and replaced them with a closed cylindrical quiver. And yes ... I wouldn't want them bolts sticking that close to my head either if I were travelling the forests like Mortimer.

@redrobes: no heavy crossbow in 4e? Wow, I didn't know that. I haven't played with D&D (and AD&D) rules since the early 90's when I switched to Rolemaster and GURPS. Why on earth wouldn't there be a heavy crossbow in 4e?

Name: Thaddeus Petite
    Race: Human

Thaddeus Petite is a tax collector by profession. He is responsible for collecting all the taxes from both the rural areas and cities that fall under the leadership of Raedis. There's been some disputes between Karthis and Raedis regarding Raedis' aggressive tax collection in areas southeast of Roym. There aren't any big settlements in the mountainous wilderness, but some very small villages (of only couple of dozen of inhabitants) have been forced into paying taxes to both Raedis and Karthis. The situation is quite recent and mostly initiated by Thaddeus who seems to extend tax collection boundaries beoynd those that have existed for quite some time. Now there isn't any official boundaries between Karthis and Raedis and it's uncertain whether Thaddeus is acting under orders; certainly Karthis is put into an uncomfortable situation by this.

Mr. Petite is very efficient at his work and unfortunately the efficiency comes at a price - lack of empathy is his biggest personal asset and disadvantage at the same time. He also seems to handle tax collection in large settlements much more gently than how he acts in the strictly rural regions. There has been many accusations against him from the rural regions - such as demanding sexual activity from teenage girls in order to lessen the tax burden of their families. Largely these accusations have gone without notice and most certainly Thaddeus has interpreted this in a way that his behaviour is silently being accepted because he is so damn good at his job.

Thaddeus yields unprecedented power in Raedis. He has direct access to soldiers belonging to any feudal lord within Raedis. If he needs to take 10 soldiers along him to a tax collection trip in the countryside south of Tavor, he only needs to demand the soldiers from the ruler of Tavor. He doesn't need to request, he simply demands. This power is enforced by the governing bodies in Raedis up and including lord Roberto Romano and is thus being accepted by the feudal lords in the rim areas of Raedis. And since Thaddeus collects taxes for them as well as central government, it's being tolerated fairly well.

Thaddeus usually moves with a retinue of few men. Some are soldiers and some are responsible for actually carrying the stuff gathered as taxes. Thaddeus also prefers to use locally known men; it gives a psychological advantage to get the people to pay up more easily. He behaves like he is a noble man himself. He acts arrogantly and looks down at the citizens. He doesn't give "extra time" to anyone and speaks with rude words. As a result, he is not at all liked as a person, but since the taxation levels in Raedis are not that high, he is not meeting much opposition either.

### PIC ###
    Last edited by 12rounds; 10-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Praise the lords, Mortimers head is now safe

That tax collector is cool, I love his facial expression. I like his description as well, need to incorporate such a character in my stories.
    Are you posting work you created earlier or are you now creating characters daily?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

These are all new. I've also upgraded my tablet recently so I'm kind of practising as I go.

Name: Khalida Calishem
    Race: Human

Khalida is one of three princesses of Calishem. There are three princes as well so the Calishem family is a really big one. Khalida is the third child of the current ruler of Calishem. She was raised in a free and rich atmosphere as were all the children in the family. Khalida has always had the option to pursue what she wants in her life and her family is always backing up her decisions - even if they break the convention of "regular" behavioural codes.

So she became a warrior princess. She trains swordsmanship, exotic poisons-use and herbal lore. Khalida is a common sight in leading expeditions of men to investigate disturbances reported throughout the country. She is fierce, temperamental and spicy, but she is well respected and honoured among the Calishmen people. Her heart is in the right place and she is generally thought as a very just and empathetic albeit a bit reckless. The regular citizens allow her some leeway and are mostly thinking that once she matures, she will settle down, find herself a husband and start expanding the might of the Calishems.

### PIC ###

Last edited by 12rounds; 06-14-2016 at 03:20 AM.

You seem inspired Kimmo
    Khalida is immediately in my top 5 of characters. Her face is gorgeous as is her stance, with her holding a bottle.

The only thing I am not totally fond of is the arm she is holding up. Her sleeve looks very dark and it looks a bit weird at the opening (where her hand is sticking out). Her dress is otherwise very beautiful!

More rep
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, this one goes into the top spot for me. Here, have a sniff of this...then she chops your head off.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Name: Astanhag
    Race: Draconis Serpentis?

One of the everfull purses of myth and legend are the mysterious and dangerous creatures of the wild forests and swamps of Thrubmorton Fens. Astanhag is a legendary myth about the god of the lizardmen. Only a handful of non-lizardmen have seen it during the time humans have settled Thrubmorton Fens and those eye-witness reports are shady at best and of questionable motives at worst.

Astanhag is the target of worshipping for all the numerous lizardmen throughout Thrubmorton Fens. Only a handful of dissident lizardmen deny Astanhag's status as the "Mother of all Mothers". Lizardmen belief system begins and ends at the notion that Astanhag is the beginning and end of all lizardmen. The one responsible for their birth and the one who can extinquish them all at whim.

Legends on Astanhag's immortality are abound. Many are simply basing their assumption on the fact that Astanhag seems to have existed for many millennia. Some human scholars have taken a different stance and particularly the headmaster of Morton School of All Things - a famous genious by the name of Rudolph Mann - have concluded that Astanhag is not a singular entity but a continuum of same bloodline. Rudolph believes that lizardmen shamans exist to protect the eggs of Astanhag and that while still alive, the god simply eats it's own newborn. Once the creature's lifespan ends, the shamans choose one of the many hatchlings and raise it to become the new Astanhag. This theorem would explain why some eyewitness reports contradict each other on the issue of the creature's size. Nevertheless the creature is judged to be too big so as Thrubmorton Fens could ever sustain more than one of them.

Whatever the truth about the lizardmen god is, one thing is certain: lizardmen shamans are "in the know" about their god. Astanhag is believed to be of great intellect and it has means of travel far beyond that of merely swimming. Many believe that Astanhag has the ability to emerge from any body of water within Thrubmorton Fens at will. The creature is not inherently hostile, but it may believe that attempts to change it's natural environs are a direct assault on it's existence.

### PIC ###
    Last edited by 12rounds; 10-28-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

More cool stuff here 12Rounds!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, very nice. I can't help thinking that Astanhag would fit in well with the Kaidan setting. It has that eastern look.

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast