Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished Map of the Forlorn Coast

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Map Hand Drawn Finished Map of the Forlorn Coast

This is my first map posting although it's been nearly 20 years since I last did a map. Looking at this site I'm certainly getting the itch again!

This map is a close up of a 'continental scale' map that I created for my Dungeons and Dragons campaign in the late 80s. The players particularly enjoyed this region so I drew a detailed map for them. it had plenty of scope for adventure as well as a backstory that acted as a foundation for the current politics. This was important as the characters were become powerful and establishing their own fiefs. Therefore I decided to do some quick brief's for each political entity

It is colour pencil and pen and took about two months around lectures in I think 1990. I spent a lot of time thinking about the names. I hate silly sounding names on maps but I'm sure a few slipped through!

I don't remember how I came up with the distinctive border but it resembles doodles I did at school. Some elements on the map are influenced or taken from a variety of sources. for example the font for 'the Forlorn Coast' is from the Lindisfarne Gospels.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=75255

Hope you enjoy it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Forlorn Coast (1967x2800).jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	75334  
    Last edited by Konraw; 08-14-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: trying to add attachment rather than a link

That is a lovely looking piece and a very interesting style. I do like the illuminated manuscript style you have used for it.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Man this is amazing stuff! Really it is... anymore? Or a higher resolution?

Either way, bravo!

Wow. That is lovely.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Whoa, I can't stop staring at that border. The little fiddleheads within fiddleheads are my favorite part. And the font. I know it's not originally yours, but you rendered it so nicely.

Wonderful!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected lark774's Avatar

I don't think a map has gotten me so giddy! The fact that its hand-drawn is a very refreshing look among many many created in photoshop. It just feels so natural.
    Seems like a neat setting and if you could write more about it I'd be interested in hearing about it in further detail!

Thank you! I have 3 more and will put them up over the next few days. There is another A0 size map which is exceeding my file limit as I'm a new member but in time I hope I can put that up as well. As for resolution, they're pushing the file size limits already unfortunately but I'll see what I can do.

"Fiddleheads within fiddleheads", that's an awesome comment. Thank you

Oh wow! I love it...all of it. Very well done! As someone who also does his maps by hand (and without electronics), i am really jealous right now. Those maps are fantastic.

As a fellow RPG-er, care to share details about this world? I am always interested in the worldbuilding of others

Have some Rep. for these maps!

I hope you return to the drawing board and will show us more maps in the near future!

Edit: Also seconding the request for higher resolution. If size-limit of the CG is a problem, host it somewhere else and link to it (for example some of the cartographers here also have deviantart accounts etc. ).
    Last edited by Eilathen; 08-12-2015 at 07:37 AM.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast