Thread: My first map - an unnamed nation

Wip My first map - an unnamed nation

Hello!

This is my first map. I've started writing an increasingly elaborate fantasy story and realized I needed help figuring out my toponymy and filling in the geographic details a traveler would encounter. This map serves both purposes.

I can't draw to save my life, so I'm using Chashio's completely gorgeous brushes.

It's pretty far along, so I figured I should post it and start soliciting comments in case I'm missing something. I'd appreciate any feedback, from stylistic to geological.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip1.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	74341

Wip I named it Vardea

An update. Added some more names and wave lines.

Name:	wip2.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	74384

A very good start for a first map. Your layout and landforms are quite nice, and I like the clean linework and the basic colouring. The brushes you used are indeed gorgeous, and you implemented them well.

You might want to put some more work into the sea texture though... the cloud texture looks a little, well, digitally clouded.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Not bad. I would try to give the fields a more isometric look however. They seem to have a top-down perspective at the moment, which looks odd in comparison to the mountains and trees.

Wip The hiatus is over.

Took a little time away. I moved to a new apartment, and suddenly my creative endeavors had more to do with wall shelving layouts than mapping, but now I am back.

I very much appreciate the feedback!

You might want to put some more work into the sea texture though... the cloud texture looks a little, well, digitally clouded.
    That was some much needed feedback. Now there's a new sea texture.

I would try to give the fields a more isometric look however. They seem to have a top-down perspective at the moment, which looks odd in comparison to the mountains and trees.
    Aha! That's why it didn't look right. Thank you for that, Sapiento. I have redrawn my agricultural texture. Hopefully this meshes better with the other features.

I also changed some names and fixed up some labels (someone very kindly pointed out to me that the capitol, Var City, sounded like a high school sports team... this is why I ask for feedback...) and I have renamed the country Vardess. I also added a great long cliff on the southeastern coast.

I'm so glad to get back to this!

Name:	wip3.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	75411