Thread: Maps are Magic

Info Maps are Magic

Hello everyone,

For me, Maps have been tied to my lifelong hobby of RPGs. I've used module maps for fantasy games, and road atlases for modern games. I'm a huge fan of mapmaking, and I fondly remember purchasing Campaign Cartographer 2 and all of it's additional pieces, determined to make maps of my own.

I then discovered that CAD stands for "computer aided design", and without a lot of experience in the fundamentals of scale and design, I struggled. Maps became a really frustrating block for me, when I ran games I would beg artistic types to help me create something to really set a scene. Even with graph paper, I would flounder.

So this is an attempt to break that particular block, and develop my map-making skills.

Hi there Glendower, welcome tot he Guild! Many people come here for exactly the same reason, they wish to improve their cartography skills to produce game aids for their campaign. The good news is that there are heaps of helpful tutorials here to aid you in this goal. You don't have to have a tremendous amount of latent talent either, some of the tutorials on offer here are very simple and user friendly. But I'd encourage you to try out several tutorials in different styles. The more you work at it, the better you'll become. I'd also recommend posting up a WIP of any maps that you are working on (however rudimentary) and asking for advice and feedback. This is another good way to pick up new tips and tricks. Look forward to seeing you around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

Hello Glendower, Welcome to the Guild!

There is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!