Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (WIP) UR - The Black Land

Guild Applicant

This is fabulous. I wish that I could render like this.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pelinorerevived View Post
    This is fabulous. I wish that I could render like this.
    Much appreciated, pelinorerevived!

Banned User

At this point I'm just trying to figure out where I want to go with the map and how to render everything in the correct style. Forests are giving me a bit of trouble.

I just added this pit/chasm looking thing last minute but because I'm never certain what the perspective of the map is (I sort of just go with it and decide while I'm doodling) I'm not sure if a chasm like that would mean things have to get larger the closer they are to you. So for people better at perspective, if I keep that chasm, does the map have to be in this perspective? http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...adum+final.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UR3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	75380

It would make sense to keep it in one perspective (if you want it to make sense and not go for a chaos-derived dream world). That said, you don't have to keep the whole thing at one base/middle plane of altitude with mountains going up and chasms going down, savvy? But I'm sure you'll figure it out to your own happiness. It looks impressive so far! That background has its own possibilities as well, if you just use a bit of imagination and enhance the differences (maybe too different of a style from where you're headed though). Forests might look really nice (loosely from the perspective of a very evil creature) all spiky and prickly and twistedly unforgiving... sort of a briar patch on steroids with menacing thorns and deep shadows, but... meh. Ideas.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

Got into a bit of a slump but I think I'm over it now that I decided to just redo most of the mountains. Man...these mountains, the amount of lines all crossing each other is some tricky stuff. I'm still playing around but it's starting to come together. I just need to figure out how to do the forests still. What I have at the moment looks good on its own, but it's hard to turn it into a forest that makes sense with the surrounding hills etc. Pretty happy with the design around Nehebaru, but I can see it changing a little since there are infinite possibilities with mirroring these type of designs.

Name:	Ur3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	75514

Yeah, that looks cool. To put it into the landscape, maybe try darkening the whole ground under the forest, touching a few highlights onto the tops of the trees/vines, working it in around, up against and between the hills and leaving the hill tops bare. Or if you want to leave it less rendered, perhaps remove the bit of shadowy glow around the forest to better reflect the simple line art of the hills as you have them now (just line on background without shading).

I do like the vines (?) but it would be better with more diversity. Some decayed trees or another type of alien plant maybe. TES Oblivion had parallel planes of existence similar to Mordor https://www.google.com/search?q=plan...IViXU-Ch29kAyF

The local flora had carnivorous plants or vampire plants.
    Or look at some of the weird plants of the Shivering islands all designed by Sheogorath himself (some can even grow cheese!) : http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...FUxwPgodTlAPiw

Banned User

Name:	Ur4.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	75598

A close up of the statue head. I'm particularly proud of the circled hills, haha. If I did every hill like that this map might never get done. (Side note: All of my maps so far have had line art focused mountains, but I think those hills just rendered with a sharper ridge would make some pretty good mountains. I should try that in my next map.)

Name:	closeup.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	75599

Process:

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	75600
    Last edited by Sarithus; 08-24-2015 at 01:13 PM.

This so far looks awesome!!!
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

That process sequence is really cool, as is the end result and the hills you should definitely be proud of. On a side note per the forest you had, I think it would also look really nice if you wanted to leave it as a separate entity from the terrain elements and make it a titled feature like Aqaros and the Gateway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast